Dec 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
Shane Victorino underwent surgery today to release a nerve from his right thumb, the Red Sox announced.
He’s expected to be healthy in time for spring training after dealing with thumb problems down the stretch this year.
Victorino is heading into his age-33 season with two years and $26 million remaining on his contract after hitting .294 with 15 homers and an .801 OPS in his first season in Boston.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20