Dec 17, 2013, 6:23 PM EST
As first reported by Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Cubs have reached agreement on a one-year, $4 million contract with right-handed reliever Jose Veras. The deal also carries a $5.5 million club option for the 2015 season along with some undisclosed performance-based incentives.
Veras drew interest on the open market from the Astros and Rockies before settling Tuesday with Chicago. He will serve primarily as a setup man in 2014 behind Cubs closer Pedro Strop but could eventually get save opportunities if Strop struggles.
The Tigers declined a $3.25 million club option on Veras at the end of the 2013 season — a controversial decision after he posted a steady 3.02 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and 60/22 K/BB ratio across 62 2/3 total frames.
UPDATE, 6:43 p.m. ET: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman says Veras will be the Cubs’ closer.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)