Dec 17, 2013, 6:24 AM EDT
We’re told the famously private Yankee has a basket in the foyer of his 30,875-square-foot, multimillion dollar Davis Island home, dubbed by locals “St. Jetersburg.” All guests are expected to plunk down their camera phones before entering his castle.
“He points and says, ‘Phones go there,’ so no one can take pictures inside his house,” says a source.
Paranoid? Nah. This is how a dude can be the biggest star in baseball for 20 years or so and never once have a scandal about him. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that he doesn’t text much with people. And that he doesn’t, say, use questionable physicians with sketchy associates who could one day catapult Jeter and all of his private information into the newspapers either.
He’s a smart guy. He’s going to be like Charles Foster Kane one day, of course. Holed up in a gigantic Florida house, no one really ever knowing what made him tick. Maybe there’s a Rosebud out there that’ll explain it all, maybe not. That’ll probably piss off a lot of would-be biographers and the sort of people who just have to know what celebrities do with their lives (because so many celebrities want us to know that we’ve come to expect to be told ourselves). But Jeter, absent some sort of change, will keep hold of his privacy. Which, for a person like him, has to be one of the more valuable assets imaginable.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 28
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)