Dec 17, 2013, 6:24 AM EDT
We’re told the famously private Yankee has a basket in the foyer of his 30,875-square-foot, multimillion dollar Davis Island home, dubbed by locals “St. Jetersburg.” All guests are expected to plunk down their camera phones before entering his castle.
“He points and says, ‘Phones go there,’ so no one can take pictures inside his house,” says a source.
Paranoid? Nah. This is how a dude can be the biggest star in baseball for 20 years or so and never once have a scandal about him. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that he doesn’t text much with people. And that he doesn’t, say, use questionable physicians with sketchy associates who could one day catapult Jeter and all of his private information into the newspapers either.
He’s a smart guy. He’s going to be like Charles Foster Kane one day, of course. Holed up in a gigantic Florida house, no one really ever knowing what made him tick. Maybe there’s a Rosebud out there that’ll explain it all, maybe not. That’ll probably piss off a lot of would-be biographers and the sort of people who just have to know what celebrities do with their lives (because so many celebrities want us to know that we’ve come to expect to be told ourselves). But Jeter, absent some sort of change, will keep hold of his privacy. Which, for a person like him, has to be one of the more valuable assets imaginable.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 4
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)