Dec 17, 2013, 6:24 AM EST
We’re told the famously private Yankee has a basket in the foyer of his 30,875-square-foot, multimillion dollar Davis Island home, dubbed by locals “St. Jetersburg.” All guests are expected to plunk down their camera phones before entering his castle.
“He points and says, ‘Phones go there,’ so no one can take pictures inside his house,” says a source.
Paranoid? Nah. This is how a dude can be the biggest star in baseball for 20 years or so and never once have a scandal about him. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that he doesn’t text much with people. And that he doesn’t, say, use questionable physicians with sketchy associates who could one day catapult Jeter and all of his private information into the newspapers either.
He’s a smart guy. He’s going to be like Charles Foster Kane one day, of course. Holed up in a gigantic Florida house, no one really ever knowing what made him tick. Maybe there’s a Rosebud out there that’ll explain it all, maybe not. That’ll probably piss off a lot of would-be biographers and the sort of people who just have to know what celebrities do with their lives (because so many celebrities want us to know that we’ve come to expect to be told ourselves). But Jeter, absent some sort of change, will keep hold of his privacy. Which, for a person like him, has to be one of the more valuable assets imaginable.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)