Dec 17, 2013, 6:24 AM EST
We’re told the famously private Yankee has a basket in the foyer of his 30,875-square-foot, multimillion dollar Davis Island home, dubbed by locals “St. Jetersburg.” All guests are expected to plunk down their camera phones before entering his castle.
“He points and says, ‘Phones go there,’ so no one can take pictures inside his house,” says a source.
Paranoid? Nah. This is how a dude can be the biggest star in baseball for 20 years or so and never once have a scandal about him. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that he doesn’t text much with people. And that he doesn’t, say, use questionable physicians with sketchy associates who could one day catapult Jeter and all of his private information into the newspapers either.
He’s a smart guy. He’s going to be like Charles Foster Kane one day, of course. Holed up in a gigantic Florida house, no one really ever knowing what made him tick. Maybe there’s a Rosebud out there that’ll explain it all, maybe not. That’ll probably piss off a lot of would-be biographers and the sort of people who just have to know what celebrities do with their lives (because so many celebrities want us to know that we’ve come to expect to be told ourselves). But Jeter, absent some sort of change, will keep hold of his privacy. Which, for a person like him, has to be one of the more valuable assets imaginable.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 6
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 3
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 27
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)