Dec 17, 2013, 6:24 AM EDT
We’re told the famously private Yankee has a basket in the foyer of his 30,875-square-foot, multimillion dollar Davis Island home, dubbed by locals “St. Jetersburg.” All guests are expected to plunk down their camera phones before entering his castle.
“He points and says, ‘Phones go there,’ so no one can take pictures inside his house,” says a source.
Paranoid? Nah. This is how a dude can be the biggest star in baseball for 20 years or so and never once have a scandal about him. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that he doesn’t text much with people. And that he doesn’t, say, use questionable physicians with sketchy associates who could one day catapult Jeter and all of his private information into the newspapers either.
He’s a smart guy. He’s going to be like Charles Foster Kane one day, of course. Holed up in a gigantic Florida house, no one really ever knowing what made him tick. Maybe there’s a Rosebud out there that’ll explain it all, maybe not. That’ll probably piss off a lot of would-be biographers and the sort of people who just have to know what celebrities do with their lives (because so many celebrities want us to know that we’ve come to expect to be told ourselves). But Jeter, absent some sort of change, will keep hold of his privacy. Which, for a person like him, has to be one of the more valuable assets imaginable.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)