Dec 17, 2013, 7:48 PM EDT
The two-year pact, which carries $11.5 million in guaranteed money along with a $6.25 million vesting option for 2016, will be officially announced Thursday after Howell passes his pre-signing physical exam.
Howell drew heavy free agent interest this winter from the Rockies, but they opted for a three-year, $16.5 million agreement with southpaw Boone Logan. Howell, 30, registered an outstanding 2.03 ERA and 1.05 WHIP over 62 innings this past summer for Los Angeles while holding left-handed batters to a hopeless .164/.225/.227 slash line.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 42
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 74
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 18
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)