Gavin Floyd turned down bigger offer from Orioles to sign with Braves

Dec 17, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Gavin Floyd AP

Gavin Floyd signed an incentive-laden one-year deal with the Braves yesterday and in doing so turned down a bigger offer from the Orioles.

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles offered the Maryland native a two-year deal worth up to $20 million based on incentives. By comparison, his deal with the Braves is worth $4 million upfront and another $4.5 million in potential incentives.

Connolly notes that the Orioles wanted a two-year deal because they figured Floyd is unlikely to contribute early on in 2014 following multiple elbow surgeries. Of course, that’s exactly why Floyd took the shorter deal with an eye on re-entering the open market healthy for a much bigger payday. He’s betting on himself and his health at age 30.

1. NatsLady - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Same reason O’Flarherty wouldn’t sign with the Nats (rumored!). Nats wanted one year plus a (team) option for a second year, since he won’t be ready May. It will be interesting to see if he signs with the Barves and what the deal is.

• NatsLady - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM

EDIT. Ready *until* May.

• bravess23 - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

you misspelled “Braves”

• NatsLady - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

No I didn’t.

• bravess23 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

well I know O’Flaherty has a similar situation as Gavin Floyd.. but I think he’s going to be the Braves guy knowing his relationship with them

• paperlions - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Yep, always smart if the team can get a team option tacked on to buy low candidates…..and always smart of the player to be able to hit FA ASAP once healthy.

2. leylandshospicenurse - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM

He wants a Nolasco deal 49MM over 4 years plus the 9.5 he could earn this year. Not 2 years and possibly 20MM and have to test the market at age 32. I don’t blame him one bit.

3. leylandshospicenurse - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I’m concerned the O’Flaherty will be signing with another team. When Floyd comes back, assuming he does, it would move Wood to the pen. You can never have too many good relievers, look at last year for the Braves. However, four lefties in the pen is kind of lefty overkill though.

4. Old Gator - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I take the twenty million and run. But then, I am a man of the people and my needs are simple.

5. stex52 - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Twenty million $ is like an insurance policy against ever being anything but wealthy. What if he doesn’t heal? What if he breaks again? What if another injury wrecks his career?

2/20 may look low to major leaguers this year. But I don’t think I would walk on that at age 30.

Of course, 30 is waaaaaayyyyyyyy in the rear view mirror for me.

6. joeflaccosunibrow - Dec 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM

As an O’s fan, I am rooting for a major injury (elbow or shoulder). This defines greed

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3109)