Not so fast: Jose Valverde hasn’t signed with the Diamondbacks

Dec 17, 2013, 10:05 AM EDT

Jose Valverde AP

UPDATE: Heyman now says Valverde has not signed and remains a free agent, adding “I miss-interpreted a text” that led him to believe it was a done deal.

==========

Man, talk about getting the band back together.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that one day after trading for White Sox closer Addison Reed the Diamondbacks have signed Jose Valverde to a minor-league deal, reuniting with the reliever who saved a league-leading 47 games for them way back in 2007.

Arizona traded Valverde to Houston after that season and now he returns trying to save his career following a season in which he pitched just 19 mostly bad innings before being released by Detroit at age 35.

Valverde is just one year removed from saving 35 games with a 3.78 ERA for the Tigers, but even then his secondary numbers had deteriorated and Papa Grande’s odds of succeeding as more than a middle reliever seem pretty slim at this point.

1. historiophiliac - Dec 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Well, Dbacks, this will up the grit factor — gritting your teeth.

2. stex52 - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Well, every D’Backs win just got a lot more exciting.

• stex52 - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Maybe the D’Backs don’t want that much excitement out of a closer after all. (New Report)

3. pisano - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Bombs away No.2

4. mattdaddy7 - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM

…and the Phillies are going to trade their entire pitching staff! Really, does anyone ever believe what Jon Heyman reports anymore?

5. mayorrobford - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Jose Valverde in 2010 – “Tell Montero he’s a freaking rookie and I can do whatever I want to,” he said. “Tell him that. Put it in the papers. If he wants to do something, tell him to come to my locker and let me know.
    “I never liked Montero,” he continued. “He’s a (bleeping) piece of (bleep).
    “Tell Montero he has two years (in the majors) and I have eight.”

Montero’s response – “It doesn’t matter if he’s got eight years,” Montero said. “I don’t think he’s got eight years because he got sent down seven or eight times. That really doesn’t count. When you get sent down your major league service stops counting. He got called up in ’02 and he got sent down in ’02 and ’03 and ’04 and ’05 and ’06. I guess this year he was a free agent so that let me know he got six years. In four out of six years he’s given up 100 runs a year. He’s only had two good years in his career. So what? He’s still a (bleep) to me.”

*grabs popcorn in hopes that they are teammates again*

6. azvikefan - Dec 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Has Kevin Towers not watched Valverde pitch the last few years? He has lost it! A total waste of money Towers.

7. nymets4ever - Dec 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

This just in, Heyman’s an idiot.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3553)