Red Sox pick up Japanese reliever Shunsuke Watanabe, release righty Chris Carpenter

Dec 17, 2013, 8:59 PM EDT

shunsuke watanabe getty Getty Images

It’s a night of subtle tweaks for the Red Sox, who have announced a minor league agreement with Japanese reliever Shunsuke Watanabe and the release of Chris Carpenter — the lesser-known one — who will go pitch for NPB’s Yakult Swallows.

Watanabe is an extreme submariner coming off a poor season in Japan and seems doubtful to make Boston’s Opening Day roster. He turned 37 years old in August and had a brutal 4.8 career K/9 in NPB.

Carpenter, a former third-round pick, was part of Boston’s return from the Cubs for Theo Epstein. The 27-year-old right-hander has a 5.17 ERA in 15 2/3 career major league innings and posted a 4.96 ERA this past summer at Triple-A Pawtucket.

1. aphillieated - Dec 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

bad pickup.

• Bryz - Dec 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

It’s a minor league deal, it’s basically harmless.

• aphillieated - Dec 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Oh, I didn’t know that. Sorry

• drewzducks - Dec 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Cherington is definitely no Ruben Amaro.

2. nsstlfan - Dec 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Troll

3. johnnysoda - Dec 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Dat windup.

4. proudlycanadian - Dec 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I have seen a video of this guy pitching. Despite the unusual delivery, he was hittable.

• dirtyharry1971 - Dec 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM

How the hell would you know? Did you step in against him? Or did AA call you up and tell you? Hey when are the jays gonna make some moves? They didn’t exactly have a winning record last year, oh that’s right they are broke!! Enjoy another season of misery! hahahhaha

Crappy x-mas to you and to everyone on this board!

• proudlycanadian - Dec 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Actually Harry I saw it on a Rogers broadcast, probably around the time of the WBC.

I repeat my wishes that Santa treats you appropriately and that you have a Happy New Year.

5. leylandshospicenurse - Dec 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

To tour the park with Tanaka on his visit.

6. 18thstreet - Dec 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I would love to know what the Red Sox see in that guy. I don’t mean that sarcastically.

7. peterjohnjoseph - Dec 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

If for nothing else, I just want to see him pitch in preseason for entertainment value. If you’ve seen the videos, its rediculous. His arm is like 1/2 a foot off the ground, and the way his arm snaps you’d think the ball would be going 100.. instead its lucky to hit 90.

Maybe they picked him up so Ortiz could have a new Asian toy to play with. We all saw how much fun he had with Koji. He likes to pick them up, spin around with them. I think its just a ploy to keep him busy in the locker room.

8. jcmeyer10 - Dec 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I can see a Pitch Like Shunsuke Night at a PawSox game!

9. joestemme - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I never understood why the Red Sox didn’t get more than a couple of sacks of potatoes for Theo Epstein. They could easily have held up the deal for long enough so that the Cubs would have had to give up at least a bench scrubby. I guess they just wanted to move on – and, I guess this year proves that it wasn’t the worst plan.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet