Dec 17, 2013, 8:50 AM EST
I guess Tracy Ringolsby is in some argument, real or imagined, with someone about Hall of Fame stuff. Because that’s the only time you see idiocy like this:
Is MLB considering changing post-season format, ignoring wins and loses because they aren’t important, and use WAR for standings?
— Tracy Ringolsby (@TracyRingolsby) December 17, 2013
Probably worth noting that Ringolsby didn’t think wins were important back when Bert Blyleven was on the ballot.
He routinely left him off his Hall of Fame ballot* despite the fact that he had many more of those all-important wins than Jack Morris, who Ringolsby wrote a column supporting last night. His reasoning: Morris was “dominant” and Blyleven was not. No word if he ever was concerned that MLB was going to change the post-season formant, ignoring wins and losses because they aren’t important, and use “dominance” for standings. UPDATE: Ringolsby informed me that he did, eventually, vote for Blyleven. Apologies for the error.
In any event, here’s a tip: if making whatever point you’re trying to make requires you to be impossibly dense, be it real or feigned, maybe there’s a better way to make that point. Or maybe it’s just a dumb point, full-stop.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)