Dec 17, 2013, 8:50 AM EST
I guess Tracy Ringolsby is in some argument, real or imagined, with someone about Hall of Fame stuff. Because that’s the only time you see idiocy like this:
Is MLB considering changing post-season format, ignoring wins and loses because they aren’t important, and use WAR for standings?
— Tracy Ringolsby (@TracyRingolsby) December 17, 2013
Probably worth noting that Ringolsby didn’t think wins were important back when Bert Blyleven was on the ballot.
He routinely left him off his Hall of Fame ballot* despite the fact that he had many more of those all-important wins than Jack Morris, who Ringolsby wrote a column supporting last night. His reasoning: Morris was “dominant” and Blyleven was not. No word if he ever was concerned that MLB was going to change the post-season formant, ignoring wins and losses because they aren’t important, and use “dominance” for standings. UPDATE: Ringolsby informed me that he did, eventually, vote for Blyleven. Apologies for the error.
In any event, here’s a tip: if making whatever point you’re trying to make requires you to be impossibly dense, be it real or feigned, maybe there’s a better way to make that point. Or maybe it’s just a dumb point, full-stop.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)