Dec 17, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT
I guess Tracy Ringolsby is in some argument, real or imagined, with someone about Hall of Fame stuff. Because that’s the only time you see idiocy like this:
Is MLB considering changing post-season format, ignoring wins and loses because they aren’t important, and use WAR for standings?
— Tracy Ringolsby (@TracyRingolsby) December 17, 2013
Probably worth noting that Ringolsby didn’t think wins were important back when Bert Blyleven was on the ballot.
He routinely left him off his Hall of Fame ballot* despite the fact that he had many more of those all-important wins than Jack Morris, who Ringolsby wrote a column supporting last night. His reasoning: Morris was “dominant” and Blyleven was not. No word if he ever was concerned that MLB was going to change the post-season formant, ignoring wins and losses because they aren’t important, and use “dominance” for standings. UPDATE: Ringolsby informed me that he did, eventually, vote for Blyleven. Apologies for the error.
In any event, here’s a tip: if making whatever point you’re trying to make requires you to be impossibly dense, be it real or feigned, maybe there’s a better way to make that point. Or maybe it’s just a dumb point, full-stop.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 18
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)