Yankees “likely” to sign second baseman Brian Roberts

Dec 17, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT

brian roberts getty Getty Images

New York already has Kelly Johnson around as a potential Robinson Cano replacement at second base, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Yankees are “likely to sign” Brian Roberts too.

Roberts was once among the best all-around second basemen in baseball for the Orioles–consistently hitting for high batting averages with tons of doubles and stolen bases–but concussions and other injuries derailed his career beginning in 2010.

In the four seasons since then he’s played a grand total of 192 games, including 77 games this year while hitting .249 with eight homers and a .704 OPS at age 35.

1. ienjoysensi - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM

.9 war combined over the past four years. Solid pickup. Guys made of steel too , never gets hurt it seems.

2. pipkin42 - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM

See ya Brian Bob. You were my favorite player during my last period of intense Orioles fandom, before getting older, moving across the country, and consistent boneheaded management finally sapped me of all my optimism.

3. slaugin - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Does he come with a time machine?

4. sawxalicious - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM

This would be a great signing if they were getting the Brian Roberts if old…I suspect however, that they will be getting the Brian Roberts that IS old…

5. sawxalicious - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM

*of old* EDIT FUNCTION!!!

6. cocheese000 - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Loved watching him here in Baltimore back when he was healthy. Kind of a bummer though that I had to tell my son he was a steroid user.

• fomeols - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM

He wasn’t.

• bart6542j - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:29 AM

If you are referring to using steroids, he was a user, he admitted to it

• mikhelb - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Brian Roberts was among the players mentioned (along with Markakis and other Orioles) in the “Mitchell Report” (you know? the one where Mitchell decided not to include Ortiz, Manny and other red sox players in the report even if they trained with Angel Presinal, but he targeted other Presinal clients as long as they weren’t Red Sox nor Brewers).

Roberts admited he used steroids.

PS
        David Ortiz began to train again in the Dominican Republic with Presinal when his production declined (2008-2009).

Presinal is currently banned from MLB yet he trained for years players who have tested positive and others who were not caught:
        Pedro Martínez
        Canó
        Manny Ramírez
        David Ortíz
        Melky Cabrera
        Bartolo Colón
        Vladimir Guerrero
        Juan González
        Miguel Cabrera
        Adrián Beltré

and a myriad of other players… though MLB decided to focus solely on ARod.

• Reflex - Dec 17, 2013 at 3:13 AM

So basically you are saying that Presinal trained players who were both PED users and many who were not? That really does not surprise me at all. I’m sure most personal trainers know how to hook someone up with steroids, but also know a lot about training and as such have many legitimate clients as well..

• stinkfist5 - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM

By the way…Nick Markakis was NOT in the Mitchell Report. mikhelb, learn the facts before opening your yap.

7. realitycheck75 - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Obviously the Yankees don’t learn from their mistakes. Anyone know who Kevin Youkilis is?
    So much for Dean Anna getting a shot.
    You trade for a young, 27 year old 2B from San Diego for what exactly?

8. fomeols - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:05 AM

So sad if the Orioles don’t bring him back. Dan Duquette is an incompetent idiot.
    God, if he were a plumber, he’d flood the basement…

9. proudlycanadian - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Must be a full moon tonight. I guess that desperate times call for desperate measures. On the upside, given his age, he would fit in well with the rest of the grizzled veterans in the locker room.

Merry Christmas Yankee fans.

10. weaselpuppy - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Old? check

Highly unlikely to be healthy all year? check.

Overpaid? (open check box)

he’s just one pen stroke away from ‘Welcome to the Yankees infield!”

11. frankpierucci7 - Dec 17, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Not a big fan of this move. I guess he can be a good bat coming off the bench, hopefully he wouldn’t be starting for us though.

12. uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Obviously Roberts will platoon with Johnson at 2nd with Anna who is signed to a minor league deal possibly joining the fray to play 2nd base. In any case Anna is insurance. Neither Roberts or Johnson is costing the Yankees very much in payroll so it’s not like the Yankees are locked into either of them for the entire season if something better should come along at some point. But for now it looks like what you see is what you get.

The question now becomes once Beltran’s signing becomes official and then Roberts becomes official the Yankees will need to make room on their 40 man roster. It’s full right now so what to players will be the ones to go? Any guesses, I;m thinking Wells is one of them

• proudlycanadian - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM

If they let Wells go, it will not cost much and Vernon would still get the remaining money on his contract even if he does not play this season.

• uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Actually it doesn’t cost the Yankees anything in dollars they are to receive more money then he is owed this year. And yes he gets paid either way. But I can see some team that operates on a shoestring money wise picking him up for no cost to them. After all why not.

13. markofapro - Dec 17, 2013 at 6:26 AM

That’s what you get when you don’t have a farm system.

• uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:36 AM

That’s always a possibility. But at least from my perspective give me a MLB team that has consistently put a winning product on the field over a team that has a “farm system”. And I’ll choose the team that is a consistent winner every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

BTW, I don’t say that lightly having been a Yankees fan for longer then most of the posters on this blog have been alive.

Have a good day.

• spudchukar - Dec 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

That’s a false dichotomy, my friend. Please explain to me how creating a “farm system” inhibits a team from putting a consistent winner on the field. Home grown players is only a part of the equation. A strong farm system, allows teams to sign FA, because the loss of a pick isn’t as damaging with other replacements, and increases a GM’s flexibility when trade talks are in order.

I see no correlation that suggests a consistently winning franchise cannot also have a strong minor league system. Perhaps that isn’t what you meant to say, but it is what you said.

• uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM

@ spudchukar, I honestly felt and feel my comment was/is self explanatory. I really don’t think there is anything I can or need to add to it. Have a good day.

• dcarroll73 - Dec 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Is your yardstick to measure a farm system just today’s prospects? How about judging it over time? I will admit that the Yanks current crop is not highly regarded, but if you want to look at the last 25 years: Jeter, Posada, Bernie Williams, Pettitte, and Rivera – starting SS, C, CF, solid SP, and the greatest closer the game has seen. If you have another farm system that has produced a better core group, I would love to hear about it (complete with an explanation of their many WS appearances and wins.)

14. rockthered1286 - Dec 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM

For the record I called this move about a month ago. So yanno. There’s that. At least I’m patting myself on the back this morning.

Fellow O’s fans- the count grows! We’ve now seen our 2013 LF, 2B, and Feldman all sign elsewhere without even a hint at a possibly replacement for any, while simultaneously shipping out JJ and still struggling to nail down a Balfour contract. Good thing we have such crazy awesome depth in the bigs and minors! I mean I cannot imagine being a bottom 5 team in terms of prospects and having our already anemic roster continue to lose out in FA right and left… I mean that would be something a team with a selfish and careless owner would do.

Angelos = AL’s Loria.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:34 AM

At least, the O’s somehow lucked into a decent manager.

15. vallewho - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Hope he comes with a case of duct-tape…

16. gloccamorra - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM

After all these journeymen get hurt, they’ll end up with Alfonso back at second. It’ll be like old times, with Alfonso and Derek fighting over who gets to cover second base on the DP again.

17. lpd1964 - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Why not just bring back Willie Randolph

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3768)