Yankees sign Matt Thornton

Dec 17, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT

Matt Thornton AP AP

Matt Thornton, whose $6 million option for 2014 was declined by the Red Sox, has signed a two-year, $7 million deal with the Yankees according to Jack Curry of YES Network.

After a five-year run as one of the best left-handed relievers in baseball Thornton showed some signs of slipping this year, particularly with his strikeout rate and velocity, but he still posted a 3.74 ERA in 43 innings.

However, the Red Sox didn’t think he was worth trusting in the playoffs and at age 37 a two-year commitment is risky for the Yankees. Of course, $3.5 million per season is below the going rate for southpaw relievers at this point and the guy Thornton is replacing in the Yankees’ bullpen, Boone Logan, got a three-year, $15 million deal from the Rockies.

1. nymets4ever - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Looks like the Rockies just got taken to school.

2. uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Apparently the Yankees bullpen is starting to get some help. It’s a good signing for the Yankees in an area of need.

• yournuts - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Excellent signing! Good value and a lefty to boot.

• spudchukar - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Another gamble that is worth it. I like the Ryan, Roberts, and Thornton choices. Not so much the Kelly one, and I do not believe Reynolds is an answer for 3B. Still work to do, but not a bad start.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I like Kelly as a platoon partner with Roberts for 2b. Just means the Yanks need a premium 3b. [while I assume Arod will miss around 50 games, I wouldn't bet the team on it]

• spudchukar - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM

50 seems optimistic. But regardless, will A-Rod actually don the pinstripes again? Somehow that is hard for me to imagine.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I just can’t see any legal reasoning beyond suspending him as a first time offender. And he has 4 years remaining on his contract. No one will trade for him, and I highly doubt the Yanks will just buy out the remaining $86M+ dollars left on his contract.

• bigharold - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM

“… will A-Rod ever wear pinstripes again?”

Aside from Church’s point that even the Yankees are’t eating $85mil, if you look at last year their 3B production was horrible. A-Rod hit more HRs than every other SS and 3B put together.

Like it or not the Yankees need him back.

• spudchukar - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

So do you think he will be a Yankee in 2015, 2016, and 2017?

• uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

@ spudchukar, I think he will be back in 2015. I looked at the list of free agents 3rd basemen in that class and aside from one or 2 players there isn’t much. Beside I think the Yankees will have other more pressing holes that will need to be filled for 2015.
        SS – This is probably Jeter’s last year. Or let me qualify that by saying I hope it is. While I like him as much as the next guy, it’s time.
        2nd base – will need to be re-visited
        Starting Pitcher – even if the Yankees sign Tanaka, This has to be Kuroda’s last year so he will need to be replaced.
        Gardner is a free agent. Although the Yankees could re-sign him. But nevertheless that is still a question mark.
        Robertson is a free agent. What do the Yankees do with him and with the closer position.

Those 5 are not in any particular order, just more important then buyout A-Rod in 2015 from my opinion.

• spudchukar - Dec 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

And then the Yankees eat the 2016 and 2017 years?

• uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM

spudchukar could be. After 2015 the Yankees will only owe A-Rod $42MM according to Cot’s (not including his milestone incentives which it’s very, very, very unlikely that he would reach anything other than Mays 660HR’s.in either 2014 or 2015.)

• realitypolice - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I was with you until Roberts. He has barely played a full season’s worth of games in the last 4 years. I would rather spend less money on a slightly less proven but younger healthier player that a guy like Roberts who the Yanks will be searching for a replacement for by May.

3. stex52 - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Yankees are really melting down those signing pens this off-season.

4. doctornature - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Yanks sign another Red Sox unwanted. This should put them over the top, along with Roberts, Wells, Ichiro, Kelly, and a group of ensure drinkers wearing Depends and waiting for their AARP cards. Maybe Ellsbury can hit Leadoff AND cleanup at the same time.

• uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Are you referring to the same Matt Thornton that the Red Sox got late in the 2013 season from the White Sox. Get real and stop acting like a turd.

• doctornature - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM

My, what a great sense of humor you have, asshole! Congrats! Methinks you have been sobbing in your teddy bear since Cano got away. Get over it chump.

• cebig - Dec 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Cano didn’t get away. They let him go.

• pastabelly - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

The same Thornton who couldn’t make the playoff roster. He was awful and a lousy acquisition for the Sox.

• realitypolice - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM

It’s so great- as soon as you hit a Red Sox fan with a fact, like doctornature, they just disintegrate into personal attacks, because they’ve got nothing. Let me predict his next response: Three titles in ten years!!!!!!!!!

Keep working on it pal. At that pace, you’ll catch the Yankees by 2040.

5. xdj511 - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM

You would save yourselves and all of us a lot of time and trouble if you would just start telling us who the Yankees DIDN’T sign.

Thank you.

• uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM

They didn’t sign Robby Cano for 10 years and $240MM

• xdj511 - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM

They’ve taken that money and instead spread it out over dozens of poorer free agents. They are practically Robin Hood.

• uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM

@ xdj511, that’s you opinion. Have a good day.

• pisano - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

uyf1950…. the smartest move they’ve made in a long time. Hopefully they’re finished with 10 year contracts. I also like the Thornton signing, I saw some slippage with Logan last year, I think the Yankees felt if he could get more somewhere else, go for it.

• realitypolice - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

It’s funny how the Yankees get criticized for throwing huge dollars at the biggest free agents. Yet, when they don’t do that and instead spread that money out over several other needs, they still get criticized. I wonder if there is one single thing the Yankees could ever do that xdj511 WOULD’NT criticize? Somehow, I doubt it.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Just like the Yankees: trying to buy a championship with low risk contracts for veteran reclamation projects, high priced elite free agents and home grown stars. How dare they.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Dec 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM

excellent signing here, guy is a workhorse and we got him dirt cheap…. So far the jays have signed a terrible catcher and that’s it, can you say last place again?

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3476)