Angels close to signing 41-year-old Raul Ibanez

Dec 18, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT

Raul Ibanez Getty Getty Images

Raul Ibanez is staying in the American League West, with Jeff Fletcher of the Orange Country Register reporting that the 41-year-old has agreed to a one-year, $2.75 million deal with the Angels.

Ibanez hasn’t posted a batting average above .250 since 2010 and makes a ton of outs, but he also smacked 29 homers in just 124 games for the Mariners this year. Presumably the Angels will limit him mostly to designated hitter duties, because Ibanez’s outfield defense is brutal at this point.

Looking at the Angels’ current lineup possibilities, Ibanez’s left-handed bat figures to fit in the cleanup spot behind Albert Pujols or, if Josh Hamilton is playing well, in the sixth spot behind David Freese.

1. uyf1950 - Dec 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Heck at only $2.75MM guaranteed he’s well worth the risk. Can’t help but root for a guy that at least slugging wise is putting players half his age to shame.

2. ptfu - Dec 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

The team just didn’t feel right without Mark Trumbo. So they went out and got a new one. Or an old one. Or something.

• km9000 - Dec 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM

They’re not swapping Trumbo for Ibanez, more like Trumbo for Ibanez/Santiago/Skaggs.

3. Old Gator - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Well hell, I’m only a couple of decades older than that. Maybe I should invite Scrooge McLoria to a tryout. When he sees how little I’ll work for – the league minimum, backloaded for five years – he’ll snap me up. I can’t be any worse at third base than anyone else he’s had there since Mike Lowell.

4. tonyz6060chevy - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Mark Trumbo would have fit in nice in there somewhere with Mike Trout.THE ANGELS SUCK!!!!

5. robotmonkeycat - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Doesn’t add much protection for Pujols. Plus you’d think they’d want a DH, that was an adequate fielder, in case they have to DH Pujols or Hamilton because of nagging injuries.

But then I guess pickins are pretty slim at this point, if they’re not willing to break the bank(again) and sign Nelson Cruz.

Kendrys Morales would seem like the best affordable option. Did they burn a bridge with him?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Trout is the best hitter (and player) on the team. Why are we concerned with (the myth) of protection for Pujols?

• robotmonkeycat - Dec 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I agree about Trout, but unless they have a better option for a lead off hitter, I don’t see the Angels moving him out of that spot.

As a Ranger fan, I’m not at all concerned about the protection of Pujols. I’m just pontificating.

If he returns to form, then the Angels would need a solid bat behind him, otherwise it’ll be walk city, and that’s not why he’s making the big bucks.

Additionally, both Pujols and Ibanez are going to be base cloggers, throw in Freese behind him, and I foresee a lot of station to station hits and double plays.

• echech88 - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

You think Morales is not signing somewhere because of a burnt bridge? That’s cute.

He costs a draft pick and the Angels’ awful farm system probably made a light bulb go off that they should hold onto those first rounders for a while.

• robotmonkeycat - Dec 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I didn’t think that, I was asking. I couldn’t remember if Morales felt any ill will about being traded.

Your point about the DP is taken. I forgot he was among the ones who had turned down a QO. Might be a while before he’s signed. I like him, but I don’t see many teams wanting to give up a first rounder for him.

I suspect he’ll end up on one of the team that has a top ten pick, and would only have to give up a second rounder. With a multi-year/moderately priced contract, he could potentially make a decent trade piece mid-season.

• km9000 - Dec 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I think there was talk last year that wherever Morales ended up playing in the long-term, he would’ve wanted to play first base more. But I have no idea if his defense is adequate enough now for any other team to want to offer that to him anyway.

6. davidbrentfan - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Last season, an aged 41 Raul Ibanez cost $2.75 million, and had far more value than an aged 32 Josh Hamilton, who cost $17 million. Hahahahaha.

Speaking of Hamilton, he is due to be paid $32 million in both 2016 and 2017.

• aceshigh11 - Dec 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

$32 million??

GOD-DAMN, are the Angels gonna regret the Hamilton and Pujols deals. Absolutely atrocious.

7. plmathfoto - Dec 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Maybe they wanted someone older than Albert Pujols on the team, although admittedly that’s not for certain with the whole birth certificate questions.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet