Dec 18, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Boston acquired Franklin Morales from Colorado in May of 2011 and now three years later the Red Sox have traded him back to the Rockies.
Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that the Red Sox will send the Rockies 27-year-old Triple-A reliever Chris Martin in addition to Morales, who had a 3.90 ERA in 134 innings for Boston while splitting time between the bullpen, rotation, and disabled list.
As part of the deal Colorado is sending infielder Jonathan Herrera to Boston, where he figures to fill a utility man role. Herrera is 29 years old and has hit just .262 with seven homers and a .654 OPS in 271 total games over the past three seasons despite calling Coors Field home.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (118)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)