Dec 18, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
It sounds like the Rockies are committed to playing Carlos Gonzales is center field after trading away Dexter Fowler, but they’ve picked up an alternative just in case.
Stubbs is probably best suited for a part-time role at this point, as he never really developed after showing promise with the Reds early on. This year he hit just .223 with 10 homers and a .665 OPS in 146 games for Cleveland and he hasn’t cracked a .700 OPS since 2010, but Stubbs is a very good base-stealer and defensive center fielder with some power.
Coloado deemed Outman expendable after signing Boone Logan to a three-year, $15 million deal (and trading for Franklin Morales today), but he pitched reasonably well with a 4.33 ERA and 53/23 K/BB ratio in 54 innings and should slot into a middle relief role in Cleveland. He held left-handed hitters to a .198 batting average and just one homer this year.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)