Dec 18, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
It sounds like the Rockies are committed to playing Carlos Gonzales is center field after trading away Dexter Fowler, but they’ve picked up an alternative just in case.
Stubbs is probably best suited for a part-time role at this point, as he never really developed after showing promise with the Reds early on. This year he hit just .223 with 10 homers and a .665 OPS in 146 games for Cleveland and he hasn’t cracked a .700 OPS since 2010, but Stubbs is a very good base-stealer and defensive center fielder with some power.
Coloado deemed Outman expendable after signing Boone Logan to a three-year, $15 million deal (and trading for Franklin Morales today), but he pitched reasonably well with a 4.33 ERA and 53/23 K/BB ratio in 54 innings and should slot into a middle relief role in Cleveland. He held left-handed hitters to a .198 batting average and just one homer this year.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 20
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)