Dec 18, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
It sounds like the Rockies are committed to playing Carlos Gonzales is center field after trading away Dexter Fowler, but they’ve picked up an alternative just in case.
Stubbs is probably best suited for a part-time role at this point, as he never really developed after showing promise with the Reds early on. This year he hit just .223 with 10 homers and a .665 OPS in 146 games for Cleveland and he hasn’t cracked a .700 OPS since 2010, but Stubbs is a very good base-stealer and defensive center fielder with some power.
Coloado deemed Outman expendable after signing Boone Logan to a three-year, $15 million deal (and trading for Franklin Morales today), but he pitched reasonably well with a 4.33 ERA and 53/23 K/BB ratio in 54 innings and should slot into a middle relief role in Cleveland. He held left-handed hitters to a .198 batting average and just one homer this year.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)