Dec 18, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
It sounds like the Rockies are committed to playing Carlos Gonzales is center field after trading away Dexter Fowler, but they’ve picked up an alternative just in case.
Stubbs is probably best suited for a part-time role at this point, as he never really developed after showing promise with the Reds early on. This year he hit just .223 with 10 homers and a .665 OPS in 146 games for Cleveland and he hasn’t cracked a .700 OPS since 2010, but Stubbs is a very good base-stealer and defensive center fielder with some power.
Coloado deemed Outman expendable after signing Boone Logan to a three-year, $15 million deal (and trading for Franklin Morales today), but he pitched reasonably well with a 4.33 ERA and 53/23 K/BB ratio in 54 innings and should slot into a middle relief role in Cleveland. He held left-handed hitters to a .198 batting average and just one homer this year.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)