Dec 18, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This is pretty unexpected:
Source: Atlanta finalizing deal to acquire catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit from Minnesota.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 18, 2013
Rosenthal reports that the Braves are sending back lefty Sean Gilmartin.
Doumit, a catcher and outfielder who does neither of those things at all well but who has been known to hit a little, wouldn’t seem to have much of a place in the Braves’ lineup. Evan Gattis — who is like a baby Ryan Doumit when you think about it — is catching and the outfield is covered with the Uptons and Heyward. Gerald Laird is the backup catcher. They don’t have a DH, obviously. All I can think is that Fredi Gonzalez could use Doumit like they used Gattis last year: in left field if and when B.J. Upton stinks.
As it is, Doumit hit .247/.314/.396 for the Twins last season. In the three seasons before that, however, he hit ..272/.331/.444. And it’s not like Target Field killed him. He was basically the same player on the road as he was at home. He makes $3.5 million this year.
Gilmartin is 23 and does not appear to be much of a prospect, posting a combined record 12-20 with a 4.23 ERA in 53 minor league starts over three seasons.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)