Dec 18, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This is pretty unexpected:
Source: Atlanta finalizing deal to acquire catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit from Minnesota.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 18, 2013
Rosenthal reports that the Braves are sending back lefty Sean Gilmartin.
Doumit, a catcher and outfielder who does neither of those things at all well but who has been known to hit a little, wouldn’t seem to have much of a place in the Braves’ lineup. Evan Gattis — who is like a baby Ryan Doumit when you think about it — is catching and the outfield is covered with the Uptons and Heyward. Gerald Laird is the backup catcher. They don’t have a DH, obviously. All I can think is that Fredi Gonzalez could use Doumit like they used Gattis last year: in left field if and when B.J. Upton stinks.
As it is, Doumit hit .247/.314/.396 for the Twins last season. In the three seasons before that, however, he hit ..272/.331/.444. And it’s not like Target Field killed him. He was basically the same player on the road as he was at home. He makes $3.5 million this year.
Gilmartin is 23 and does not appear to be much of a prospect, posting a combined record 12-20 with a 4.23 ERA in 53 minor league starts over three seasons.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 24
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 53
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 133
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (133)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)