Dec 18, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
This is pretty unexpected:
Source: Atlanta finalizing deal to acquire catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit from Minnesota.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 18, 2013
Rosenthal reports that the Braves are sending back lefty Sean Gilmartin.
Doumit, a catcher and outfielder who does neither of those things at all well but who has been known to hit a little, wouldn’t seem to have much of a place in the Braves’ lineup. Evan Gattis — who is like a baby Ryan Doumit when you think about it — is catching and the outfield is covered with the Uptons and Heyward. Gerald Laird is the backup catcher. They don’t have a DH, obviously. All I can think is that Fredi Gonzalez could use Doumit like they used Gattis last year: in left field if and when B.J. Upton stinks.
As it is, Doumit hit .247/.314/.396 for the Twins last season. In the three seasons before that, however, he hit ..272/.331/.444. And it’s not like Target Field killed him. He was basically the same player on the road as he was at home. He makes $3.5 million this year.
Gilmartin is 23 and does not appear to be much of a prospect, posting a combined record 12-20 with a 4.23 ERA in 53 minor league starts over three seasons.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)