Dec 18, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This is pretty unexpected:
Source: Atlanta finalizing deal to acquire catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit from Minnesota.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 18, 2013
Rosenthal reports that the Braves are sending back lefty Sean Gilmartin.
Doumit, a catcher and outfielder who does neither of those things at all well but who has been known to hit a little, wouldn’t seem to have much of a place in the Braves’ lineup. Evan Gattis — who is like a baby Ryan Doumit when you think about it — is catching and the outfield is covered with the Uptons and Heyward. Gerald Laird is the backup catcher. They don’t have a DH, obviously. All I can think is that Fredi Gonzalez could use Doumit like they used Gattis last year: in left field if and when B.J. Upton stinks.
As it is, Doumit hit .247/.314/.396 for the Twins last season. In the three seasons before that, however, he hit ..272/.331/.444. And it’s not like Target Field killed him. He was basically the same player on the road as he was at home. He makes $3.5 million this year.
Gilmartin is 23 and does not appear to be much of a prospect, posting a combined record 12-20 with a 4.23 ERA in 53 minor league starts over three seasons.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)