Dec 18, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: Jeff Passan says a deal is done, pending a physical. No word on the cash, but figure between $7-9 million a year for two years.
8:48 AM: The Padres have a closer in Huston Street who saved 33 games last year and who will make $7 million this year. But who says you only have to have one closer?
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) December 18, 2013
Or, for that matter, who says Benoit is hell-bent on remaining a closer? It’s not like he’s had the job forever. He’s used to setup work. Also: if you’re the Padres, this could work out as a flip-a-closer-at-the-deadline situation.
At last report, Benoit was seeking roughly Huston Street money.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)