Dec 18, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: Jeff Passan says a deal is done, pending a physical. No word on the cash, but figure between $7-9 million a year for two years.
8:48 AM: The Padres have a closer in Huston Street who saved 33 games last year and who will make $7 million this year. But who says you only have to have one closer?
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) December 18, 2013
Or, for that matter, who says Benoit is hell-bent on remaining a closer? It’s not like he’s had the job forever. He’s used to setup work. Also: if you’re the Padres, this could work out as a flip-a-closer-at-the-deadline situation.
At last report, Benoit was seeking roughly Huston Street money.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 87
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)