Dec 19, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Major League Baseball sought to depose Alex Rodriguez‘s cousin Yuri Sucart in the lawsuit it filed against Biogenesis and lots of other folks. That is, the lawsuit which gave Major League Baseball the handle with which to turn Anthony Bosch and others as it pursued Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and other ballplayers. Over the summer Sucart filed a writ with a Florida appellate court challenging the validity of the lawsuit and seeking an order preventing the deposition from taking place. That effort was denied and he filed an appeal with Florida’s Third District Court of Appeal. He lost that appeal today, so that’s pretty much the end of the road in his effort. MLB can now take his deposition.
Of course, why they’d even want to take his deposition now is an open question. The MLBPA and all of the accused players with the exception of Alex Rodriguez got on board with baseball’s Biogenesis investigation, accepting their punishment. With respect to Rodriguez, the evidence Major League Baseball used against him was obtained months ago and the arbitration is now closed. Making Sucart sit for a deposition seems rather pointless, as does the enitre lawsuit.
My guess: MLB is trying to lay the groundwork for the future. For the next time it wants to use the court system to coerce cooperation from people over which it doesn’t have authority. To vindicate, as much as possible, a legal theory that I and many others to be profoundly troublesome and legally unsound but which, for some reason, the Florida courts have gone along with for months. So MLB can say later “we did it once, we’ll do it again.”
But hey, what’s a little pointless waste of the legal system between friends?
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 1
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)