Dec 19, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Major League Baseball sought to depose Alex Rodriguez‘s cousin Yuri Sucart in the lawsuit it filed against Biogenesis and lots of other folks. That is, the lawsuit which gave Major League Baseball the handle with which to turn Anthony Bosch and others as it pursued Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and other ballplayers. Over the summer Sucart filed a writ with a Florida appellate court challenging the validity of the lawsuit and seeking an order preventing the deposition from taking place. That effort was denied and he filed an appeal with Florida’s Third District Court of Appeal. He lost that appeal today, so that’s pretty much the end of the road in his effort. MLB can now take his deposition.
Of course, why they’d even want to take his deposition now is an open question. The MLBPA and all of the accused players with the exception of Alex Rodriguez got on board with baseball’s Biogenesis investigation, accepting their punishment. With respect to Rodriguez, the evidence Major League Baseball used against him was obtained months ago and the arbitration is now closed. Making Sucart sit for a deposition seems rather pointless, as does the enitre lawsuit.
My guess: MLB is trying to lay the groundwork for the future. For the next time it wants to use the court system to coerce cooperation from people over which it doesn’t have authority. To vindicate, as much as possible, a legal theory that I and many others to be profoundly troublesome and legally unsound but which, for some reason, the Florida courts have gone along with for months. So MLB can say later “we did it once, we’ll do it again.”
But hey, what’s a little pointless waste of the legal system between friends?
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 40
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)