Dec 19, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Major League Baseball sought to depose Alex Rodriguez‘s cousin Yuri Sucart in the lawsuit it filed against Biogenesis and lots of other folks. That is, the lawsuit which gave Major League Baseball the handle with which to turn Anthony Bosch and others as it pursued Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and other ballplayers. Over the summer Sucart filed a writ with a Florida appellate court challenging the validity of the lawsuit and seeking an order preventing the deposition from taking place. That effort was denied and he filed an appeal with Florida’s Third District Court of Appeal. He lost that appeal today, so that’s pretty much the end of the road in his effort. MLB can now take his deposition.
Of course, why they’d even want to take his deposition now is an open question. The MLBPA and all of the accused players with the exception of Alex Rodriguez got on board with baseball’s Biogenesis investigation, accepting their punishment. With respect to Rodriguez, the evidence Major League Baseball used against him was obtained months ago and the arbitration is now closed. Making Sucart sit for a deposition seems rather pointless, as does the enitre lawsuit.
My guess: MLB is trying to lay the groundwork for the future. For the next time it wants to use the court system to coerce cooperation from people over which it doesn’t have authority. To vindicate, as much as possible, a legal theory that I and many others to be profoundly troublesome and legally unsound but which, for some reason, the Florida courts have gone along with for months. So MLB can say later “we did it once, we’ll do it again.”
But hey, what’s a little pointless waste of the legal system between friends?
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 0
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 5
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)