Dec 19, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Two offseasons ago Tsuyoshi Wada left Japan to sign a two-year, $8 million deal with Baltimore, but he underwent Tommy John elbow surgery before ever throwing a pitch for the Orioles.
He hit the free agent market again after having a $5 million team option declined and now Wada has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Cubs.
Wada was considered a potential mid-rotation starter when he came over from Japan, but his post-surgery numbers at Triple-A this year were underwhelming. Still, could be an interesting buy-low flier for Chicago.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39