Dec 19, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
Nelson Cruz is still a free agent and still talking to the Rangers about potentially re-signing, but both Cruz and general manager Jon Daniels have made a reunion sound highly unlikely.
Here’s what Cruz told Jeff Wilson of the Forth Worth Star Telegram:
It’s been tough, but I understand it’s part of the process. Hopefully, we’ll work something out. It’s something that’s a fit for me and my family. We’ve talked. They say that they want me, but it’s a business.
According to Wilson the Rangers were hoping to get Cruz to re-sign for two years plus a third-year option, but it’s looking like he has four-year and maybe even five-year deals on the table elsewhere. As a good but not great 33-year-old corner outfielder it’s tough to blame the Rangers for avoiding a huge commitment, especially since they’d get draft pick compensation if he signs with another team.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)