Dec 19, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
Nelson Cruz is still a free agent and still talking to the Rangers about potentially re-signing, but both Cruz and general manager Jon Daniels have made a reunion sound highly unlikely.
Here’s what Cruz told Jeff Wilson of the Forth Worth Star Telegram:
It’s been tough, but I understand it’s part of the process. Hopefully, we’ll work something out. It’s something that’s a fit for me and my family. We’ve talked. They say that they want me, but it’s a business.
According to Wilson the Rangers were hoping to get Cruz to re-sign for two years plus a third-year option, but it’s looking like he has four-year and maybe even five-year deals on the table elsewhere. As a good but not great 33-year-old corner outfielder it’s tough to blame the Rangers for avoiding a huge commitment, especially since they’d get draft pick compensation if he signs with another team.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 28
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 39
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)