Former No. 2 overall pick Greg Reynolds is headed to Japan

Dec 19, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Reynolds_Greg

Greg Reynolds, who was the second overall pick in a stacked 2006 draft, has signed with the Seibu Lions in Japan after posting a 7.01 ERA in the majors.

Even at the time of the draft many people questioned why the Rockies went with Reynolds, whose upside was considered modest coming out of Stanford. Evan Longoria was taken by the Rays one spot later and other players selected among the next dozen picks include Clayton Kershaw, Tim Lincecum, and Max Scherzer.

Of course, it’s always silly to view the MLB draft the same way people view the NBA or NFL drafts and the No. 1 pick that year was Luke Hochevar.

1. karlkolchak - Dec 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

It was also reported that the posting fee for Reynolds was a bag of baseballs and a pouch of chewing tobacco.

2. yahmule - Dec 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

If Dan O’Dowd was any kind of man, he would have resigned after this pick. Only a half a dozen pitchers drafted by O’Dowd have pitched as much as an inning in the major leagues. The punching bag Reynolds, the soft throwing relief pitcher O’Dowd selected before Kershaw, Scherzer and Lincecum, was one of those bums.

In 21 years of existence, the Rockies have never won their division and O’Dowd can take the blame for two thirds of that failure.

• mayorrobford - Dec 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Burn

• kyzslew77 - Dec 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Look, I dislike O’Dowd as much as any Rockies fan, and the Reynolds pick was horrible, but let’s not be hyperbolic. O’Dowd has drafted 15 pitchers who have pitched in the majors for the Rockies (only real success stories are Jeff Francis and Rex Brothers so far), along with many others who were traded and pitched in the majors for other teams (no real success stories there) and a bunch of big names they drafted but could not sign (including Chris Sale, Matt Garza and Andrew Cashner). He’s also overseen the foreign signings of guys like Ubaldo Jimenez and Jholuys Chacin. He sucks, but not as much as you are trying to make him suck. Just saying.

• cshearing - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM

That sounds pretty bad to me. I do not see how that history makes things better than what yahmule said.

3. yahmule - Dec 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM

He sucks more. The Helton contract was a brutal albatross that he traded for another albatross in Tulo’s contract. The Hampton and Neagle contracts were among the worst in baseball history and they gave the Monfort’s justification to never pursue another big money free agent. He has done alright in a handful of trades, but has gotten fleeced much more frequently.

• kyzslew77 - Dec 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM

The Helton contract was meh. They got about what you’d expect out of it. And I don’t think it materially affected any of the team’s moves while it was in its big money years (2007-2011). They were competitive every one of those years. 2008 and 2011 ended up being sub .500 seasons but the team was trying to win and spent money accordingly.

Tulo’s contract is not even close to an albatross. Had they not signed him, this coming season would be his final one before free agency on the contract he signed after his rookie year. What do you think he’d command on the open market next winter? $25MM? More? They have him locked up for $20MM from 2015 through 2019, and then $15MM each for 2020 and 2021 (last one is an option year). It’s not a huge discount but it’s a discount. If you think he’d sign for 7 years/$130MM on the free agent market next winter, you’re insane. The Yankees would probably start the bidding at what Cano got, not to mention the possibility that other teams would jump in.

Hampton and Neagle were calculated risks. Both were well above average pitchers before coming to Coors. Then they sucked. The risks didn’t work out. They’re probably a big reason why we have the humidor now, though, and the humidor is definitely a good thing. Spending big money on free agent SPs is usually a bad move anyways so I’m glad they haven’t been chasing those kinds of pitchers since the early 2000s.

Finally, I’m all ears–tell me about all the trades in which he got “fleeced.” Can you even name one? Maybe Seth Smith for Josh Outman and Guillermo Moscoso? Maybe Jeremy Guthrie for Matt Lindstrom and Jason Hammel? I guess? He’s been successful at trading way more often than he’s failed. If anything, his biggest mistakes have been waiting too long to trade declining players like Atkins and Hawpe. But go ahead, tell me about all the times he got fleeced.

Go back to commenting on the Denver Post’s site LOL CHEAPFORTZ THE ROCKIE’S NEED MOAR PITCHINGZ.

4. yahmule - Dec 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I was actually going to waste a few minutes rebutting your pathetic bull**** argument, until you defended the Hampton and Neagle trades. Now I realize you’re just a brainwashed moron. Or a shill from that hopeless joke of a franchise. Enjoy Tulo’s contract in 2019, dumbass. He’s managed to get onto the field more than 150 times twice in his career and the last time was five years ago. I’m sure he’ll become less injury plagued as he ages. I must be talking to Dan himself. Nobody else in this state not named Monfort would defend that clueless sonofabitch.

• kyzslew77 - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I’m as spiteful as anyone from Colorado is at the franchise. Haven’t been to a game since 2011. Hate the Monforts but realize they’re not going anywhere. Don’t like DOD, but don’t go all apecrap attacking him with untrue statements like you do. Don’t like Weiss at all, he’s a “by the book” manager who’s going to cost them a couple wins every year with his dumb bunting and bullpen decisions.

Defended the Hampton and Neagle trades? You mean the signings that I said were calculated risks that didn’t work? Gotcha.

Tulo gets hurt a lot. You nailed it. Way to break that investigative report. At the time the contract was signed, he had hit 91 HR the previous 4 seasons (even though he was injured a bit) while playing GG defense. If that’s not a player worth investing in long term, I’m not sure who is. If he were a free agent after this season, what kind of deal do you think he’d get?

Still waiting for you to tell me about all the times he got fleeced. Go on, I’m listening. You’re the expert.

• kyzslew77 - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Hey remember the time the team traded Holliday, who was sure to leave after one more season, to Oakland and got Cargo (and Huston Street) in return? Who won that trade? Hey, the A’s then flipped Holliday 80 games later to the Cardinals for Brett Wallace. That makes it a pretty tough call. I guess O’CLOWN got fleeced pretty badly there. Kind of like the time he got Rafael Betancourt in exchange for a guy who never pitched in MLB.

• kyzslew77 - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Or hey, maybe the time he got Jorge de la Rosa for a PTBNL, or the time he got Jason Grilli for another guy who would never end up making it to MLB. Or the time he got Jason Marquis, who was the team’s best pitcher during their 2009 playoff season, in exchange for Luis Vizcaino. In reviewing these transactions, I did find another semi-bad trade; got Joe Beimel from the Nationals in 2009 (who did help with the playoff run) but gave up Ryan Mattheus, who is pretty good.

So I don’t know, let’s weigh it all together: the Cargo + Betancourt + DLR trades against the three worst trades he’s made: sending away Smith, Hammel and Mattheus and not getting much in return.

DOD sucks, I just hate people that are idiots. And you are an idiot. Thanks for giving me something fun to do with my early afternoon.

5. rjmarrella - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Guys, you could have Amaro….

6. yahmule - Dec 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Just admit this is you and you suck, Dan.

There are three ways to become a major league GM. Pay your dues and be excellent at your job; be someone’s idiot son and hang around until somebody really stupid hires you, like Jim Campanis; or befriend a rich drunk and his clueless brother. This was the path Dan rode to failure.

Hey stupid, do you know why the Rockies could only attract a high school manager to be placeholder for that ridiculous team?

Because Dan O’Dowd took away all authority from the position with ignorant nonsense like 75 pitch limits for their starters. Man, that one year contract sure must have been attractive. Can’t believe they didn’t get Francona. Dummy.

As you liked the calculated gambles for Hampton and Neagle, I’m sure you applauded when O’Dowd selected Michael Vick in the draft, too. He hadn’t played baseball since junior high, but Dan took a gamble.

I’m sure you enjoyed watching sit there with his thumb up his ass while Ubaldo self immolated his trade value. There were initial discussions for Kipnis, but Dan overplayed his hand and wound up with a couple of guys who can’t crack a plane of glass with their four seamers.

He’s an idiot and if you’re not really him, you’re an even bigger idiot. I’m a lesser sized idiot for wasting my time with a peon like you.

• kyzslew77 - Dec 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I can’t believe he wasted a 30th round pick on a guy who was almost certainly never going to sign! You complaining about that is the stupidest thing either of us have said in this entire thread.

Still waiting to hear about all the trades he got fleeced in. I mean, you type really loudly and angrily, so you’ve got to be right about that. I just need a couple examples so I can be really totally sure you’re right.

Yours truly, Dan O’Dowd

• yahmule - Dec 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

First off, nobody is buying the ridiculous Polish name, so give it rest. Second, you’re the asshole who made this personal. Have someone read the thread back to you. Third Dan made that Vick pick because he’s more concerned with being interviewed than building a team. Finally, I know you’re enjoying your afternoon on your employer’s internet, but I have seats two rows off the glass tonight and things to do before we head into Denver.

I would love to sit here while you defend the merits of Fracois Giguere, Bernie Bickerstaff and Josh McDaniels, but I just don’t have the time. Keep your head buried in the sand, Dummy.

• kyzslew77 - Dec 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM

You mean keep my head buried in the sand by saying the O’Dowd sucks, like I’ve said all along? Will do. Jesus, did he run over your dog or something?

Big ups to you for having seats ON THE GLASS ZOMG. I hope you get hit in the eyeball with a stray puck. I’ll look for you on TV–be sure to wear a shirt that says INTERNET TOUGH GUY.

Really quick though, name the worst trade O’Dowd has ever made.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug