Dec 19, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Today at ESPN Jim Caple takes a stab at listing the top 10 baseball songs of all time. He has “Centerfield” by John Fogerty at number one.
I feel like picking the best baseball song is a fools’ errand if, for no other reason, than everyone has different musical tastes so who’s to say what really is the best baseball song? It’s inherently a matter of opinion. But I know this much: “Centerfield” is objectively awful. It’s just not a good song and if you think otherwise you’re a bad person and should feel bad. No offense, Jim.
I guess everything else is fair game. Well, not “Talkin’ Baseball.” That’s awful too. Just can’t be on your list if you want to be taken seriously in polite society. Terrible, abominable song. Get the shakes just thinking about it.
I go back and forth on my favorite baseball song, but here’s one that rotates in and out of the top spot. It’s Mabel Scott’s “Baseball Boogie.”
OK, yes, she’s not really singing about baseball. She’s singing about sex. But I think that’s ok. I’d rather hear Mabel Scott sing about sex than hear John Fogerty singing about baseball. And if you disagree, well, you’re wrong AGAIN.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)