I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty

Dec 19, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT

Fogerty

Today at ESPN Jim Caple takes a stab at listing the top 10 baseball songs of all time. He has “Centerfield” by John Fogerty at number one.

I feel like picking the best baseball song is a fools’ errand if, for no other reason, than everyone has different musical tastes so who’s to say what really is the best baseball song? It’s inherently a matter of opinion. But I know this much: “Centerfield” is objectively awful. It’s just not a good song and if you think otherwise you’re a bad person and should feel bad. No offense, Jim.

I guess everything else is fair game. Well, not “Talkin’ Baseball.” That’s awful too. Just can’t be on your list if you want to be taken seriously in polite society. Terrible, abominable song. Get the shakes just thinking about it.

I go back and forth on my favorite baseball song, but here’s one that rotates in and out of the top spot. It’s Mabel Scott’s “Baseball Boogie.”

OK, yes, she’s not really singing about baseball. She’s singing about sex. But I think that’s ok. I’d rather hear Mabel Scott sing about sex than hear John Fogerty singing about baseball. And if you disagree, well, you’re wrong AGAIN.

104 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. grumpyoleman - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Paradise By The Dashboard Lights lol

2. tcostant - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

It still and always will be “Take me out to the ball game.

Others that still make me smile include “Talking Baseball” and “Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball”.

3. professormaddog31 - Dec 20, 2013 at 9:14 AM

No one’s mentioned “A Dying Cub Fan’s Last Request”?

4. wjsmith810 - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I cannot begin to tell you how far off your statements on Centerfield are. Mabel Scott,really? Centerfield is a great song and captures the spirit of baseball to a T. I remember many hot summer days driving in my buddies Dad’s car on our way to our game jamming this song on high dial and singing it all the way out to the diamond. You don’t have to like the song. It is your right. You did not have to take it a step further and insult those who do enjoy it. You sound like a man with a paper a-s-shole.

5. metalhead65 - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

stick to saber metrics craig it’s obvious you know nothing about music. Centerfield is just an awful song? of all the stupid things I have read on here that has to be near the top. it is not his fault it is over played but when you have a song that fits the game as good as that what would you expect? that is like saying Stairway To Heaven is a terrible song because it gets played all the time. well guess what? it gets played all the time because like centerfield it is a great song song and people love it!

6. nolanwiffle - Dec 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Look at the picture! His guitar is fashioned to look like a god damned baseball bat! Winner.

7. yousuxxors - Dec 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM

maybe by speedball he meant shooting heroin and coke at the same time

8. southcapitolstreet - Dec 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM

“Piazza, New York Catcher,” by Belle & Sebastian

9. Brian Keith Wallen - Dec 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM

How about My Oh My by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis? Really captures the feeling of being a young fan.

10. frugalscott - Dec 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Hard to imagine that in all of this discussion two very good baseball songs have yet to mentioned. Alabama’s Cheap Seats and Lionel Cartwright’s I Watched It All On My Radio are perhaps my two favorite baseball songs. If you are not familiar, check them out.

11. blovy8 - Dec 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I’d vote for either Panda and the Freak or Ted F’n Williams by the Baseball Project.

12. TestSubjekt - Dec 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Ty Cobb by Soundgarden

13. charmed62 - Dec 22, 2013 at 5:56 AM

The Greatest by Kenny Rogers

14. braxtonrob - Dec 26, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I like Fogerty’s Centerfield, but for me, it’s the theme to This Week In Baseball with Mel Allen’s voice.
    Gives me a rush every time I hear it.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3524)