Dec 19, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Today at ESPN Jim Caple takes a stab at listing the top 10 baseball songs of all time. He has “Centerfield” by John Fogerty at number one.
I feel like picking the best baseball song is a fools’ errand if, for no other reason, than everyone has different musical tastes so who’s to say what really is the best baseball song? It’s inherently a matter of opinion. But I know this much: “Centerfield” is objectively awful. It’s just not a good song and if you think otherwise you’re a bad person and should feel bad. No offense, Jim.
I guess everything else is fair game. Well, not “Talkin’ Baseball.” That’s awful too. Just can’t be on your list if you want to be taken seriously in polite society. Terrible, abominable song. Get the shakes just thinking about it.
I go back and forth on my favorite baseball song, but here’s one that rotates in and out of the top spot. It’s Mabel Scott’s “Baseball Boogie.”
OK, yes, she’s not really singing about baseball. She’s singing about sex. But I think that’s ok. I’d rather hear Mabel Scott sing about sex than hear John Fogerty singing about baseball. And if you disagree, well, you’re wrong AGAIN.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)