Dec 19, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Today at ESPN Jim Caple takes a stab at listing the top 10 baseball songs of all time. He has “Centerfield” by John Fogerty at number one.
I feel like picking the best baseball song is a fools’ errand if, for no other reason, than everyone has different musical tastes so who’s to say what really is the best baseball song? It’s inherently a matter of opinion. But I know this much: “Centerfield” is objectively awful. It’s just not a good song and if you think otherwise you’re a bad person and should feel bad. No offense, Jim.
I guess everything else is fair game. Well, not “Talkin’ Baseball.” That’s awful too. Just can’t be on your list if you want to be taken seriously in polite society. Terrible, abominable song. Get the shakes just thinking about it.
I go back and forth on my favorite baseball song, but here’s one that rotates in and out of the top spot. It’s Mabel Scott’s “Baseball Boogie.”
OK, yes, she’s not really singing about baseball. She’s singing about sex. But I think that’s ok. I’d rather hear Mabel Scott sing about sex than hear John Fogerty singing about baseball. And if you disagree, well, you’re wrong AGAIN.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)