Dec 19, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
The Red Sox acquired utility infielder Jonathan Herrera from the Rockies yesterday in exchange for left-hander Franklin Morales and minor league right-hander Chris Martin, but manager John Farrell confirmed during an appearance on WEEI’s Hot Stove show this evening that the move doesn’t mean that the team has ruled out the return of Stephen Drew. In fact, he indicated that there’s mutual interest in getting something done.
“Herrera, this is a guy that’s played all over the infield. We like him from the left side a little bit better — he’s had better performance as a left-handed hitter. He is a switch-hitter, but better from the left side. We feel like with all the other right-handed infielders, it’s a good complement to those who are already here. At the same time, if things fall a certain way with Stephen Drew, it doesn’t prohibit us from adding Drew as well.”
Indeed, Farrell suggested that mutual interest exists in having the shortstop return to the team with whom he signed a one-year, $9.5 million for the 2013 season.
“Both sides would like to see this come together,” Farrell said of talks with Drew. “But at the same time, as we all know, he’s looking to see what best opportunities would be out there for him.”
Drew’s market has been slow to develop this winter, in part because he is attached to draft pick compensation. The Mets have been mentioned as one possibility, but general manager Sandy Alderson has said that if the team does upgrade at shortstop this winter, it will likely be via trade and not the free agent market.
As of now, the Red Sox are expected to go with top prospect Xander Bogaerts as their starting shortstop in 2014. If Drew returns, Bogaerts would likely get every opportunity to be the starting third baseman. Will Middlebrooks, who hit just .227 with a .696 OPS last season, could be pushed to the minors in such a scenario.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)