Juan Gonzalez is selling his 1996 MVP trophy, other stuff

Dec 19, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT

Juan Gonzalez AP

Juan Gonzalez made something like $90 million in salary alone during his baseball career, so maybe he’s doing this to simply clear out the clutter. But whatever the motivation, you can now get your hands on some hot, hot Juan Gonzalez memorabilia.

Up for auction? His 1996 MVP award. His 1996 and 2001 Silver Slugger awards. An AL Player of the Month trophy from 1997. Game-used gloves, bats, jerseys, hats and other stuff. See the whole list here. An bid if you want.

I think Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey, Jr., Mark McGwire, Albert Belle or any of the other dozen or so better candidates for the 1996 MVP Award should consider bidding on that MVP trophy. Second chances like this don’t come along too often.

1. darthicarus - Dec 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Perhaps he needs to pull together some money to get a new apartment in Detroit. (roughly 3 people will get that reference)

2. Kevin S. - Dec 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM

A-Rod buying the MVP trophy, re-engraving it with his name, putting it on his mantle and then talking about how good he felt helping a friend in need out would be the most A-Rod thing ever. In fact, I think A-Rod should begin a surreptitious campaign to make *every* MVP award he should have won available and buy them all. He’s got claims in ’96, ’98, ’00, ’02 and ’04.

• Kevin S. - Dec 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

In fact, the ’98 and ’02 awards probably aren’t too hard to come by. I have no idea what Vlad’s up to these days, and Giambi A) probably doesn’t need to hawk his and B) had a fair claim to it himself. Still, six MVPs on his shelf would probably be more reflective of his career.

3. karlkolchak - Dec 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Cripes, these guys squader their millions faster than your average lotto winner.

4. superpriebe - Dec 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I’d bid on it, but rumor has it that MLB failed to engrave “IGOR” as part of his name. Very disappointing.

5. blingslade - Dec 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Another roid boy gets his cumuppance.

6. doctornature - Dec 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Jesus, I still have a Black Louisville Slugger with my name engraved in gold (along with my other teammates) from our 1968 Colt League World Series victory in Riverside Ca. And the last out ball, which I also threw from the mound. I would not consider selling it for any price. And never made even $1 million dollars TOTAL in the 62 years of my life, much less $90 Million like Gonzo, who I have seen crack a couple hundred HR’s in Arlington.

And every year we see the rich and famous athletes selling Super Bowl Rings, World Series Rings, MVP Trophies…heck even OJ committed armed robbery to get his memorabilia back, presumably to sell it.

Goes to show everybody is broke on their own level, or in a lot of cases, maybe the price of crack and cocaine is going up. Hard to tell these days.

7. fatediesel - Dec 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Gonzalez made maybe the worst decision by a player in MLB history when he turned down a $140 million contract offer from the Tigers when he had a year left on his contract.

8. louhudson23 - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:55 AM

I do not miss those days,that game,or players like him.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3950)