Legendary Pictures’ Thomas Tull — the Producer of “42” — named to the Hall of Fame Board of Directors

Dec 19, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT

Cooperstown

Thomas Tull, the chairman and CEO of Legendary Entertainment — which has produced countless movies including Pacific Rim, The Dark KnightThe Hangover movies, Watchmen300, Inception, Clash of the Titans, Man of Steel and The Town – has been elected to the Board of Directors for the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, it was announced today.

Of course, Tull’s place on the board does not come by virtue of his work on “Pacific Rim.” It comes by virtue of a little baseball flick they put out last April called 42. It was quite a good one. His reverence for baseball history as shown in 42 — and his connections in the motion picture and entertainment world, obviously — will likely serve the Hall of Fame well.

The rest of the board: Chairman Jane Forbes Clark, whose grandfather, Stephen C. Clark, founded the Hall of Fame, Vice Chairman Joe Morgan; Hall of Fame players Phil Niekro, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson and Tom Seaver; Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig; major league owners Bill DeWitt Jr. (St. Louis), David Glass (Kansas City) and Jerry Reinsdorf (Chicago White Sox); former MLB President Paul Beeston; minor league owner Bill Gladstone (Tri-City Valley Cats), long-time sports executivs Dr. Harvey Schiller, Kevin Moore, president of the Clark Estates, Inc. and former Hall of Fame Chairman Ed Stack.

With Tull on the board, however, I can now put my great two loves together — Batman and baseball — and ask him (a) why the BBWAA gets to vote for the Hall of Fame; and (b) what in the hell was everyone thinking when they made “Dark Knight Rises?”

1. cur68 - Dec 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Find out if;
    c) He’s a Turbo-Nerd stats geek, while you’re at it.

• natstowngreg - Dec 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

We HBT readers are stuck with “turbo-nerd” for the forseeable future, aren’t we?

• cur68 - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Turbo-Nerds never forget.

2. El Bravo - Dec 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I’d love an explanation from someone as to why TDKR was bad. I can see an argument for why it is not great, or not good even, but how is it a bad movie? The Thor movies are bad. Gigli is the worst. It think we need to have some perspective here.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Dec 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM

This sums up most of it pretty well. Usually these guys do these tongue in cheek, but this time it was pretty spot on.

• El Bravo - Dec 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Still doesn’t make me hate the movie and I noticed many of these inconsistencies and quirks on first or second viewing. We could do this with The Dark Knight as well no? Anyone think that movie was bad? Seems like haters hating b/c they wanna hate more than anything.

You know what this missed? Bane terrorizes stock exchange on motorcycle and then is seen riding off with helmet on again. How did he get that helmet on with his Bane mask? Still doesn’t make me hate the movie.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM

To each their own I say, especially in this matter. I know a lot of people who liked the movie, and I’m happy for them. For me, there were just too many plot holes, and WTF moments. The whole Tim Drake thing irritated me to no end. How everyone just figured out he was Batman irritated me. The cross country trip after miraculous healing irritated me. The cane and busted leg at the beginning of the movie with ZERO explanation bothered me. There were just too many of those moments for me. Most movies when put under a microscope will have a certain level of those moments, and that’s just part of suspension of disbelief. TDK just had too many glaring issues that made me want to put my fist through the screen.

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Dec 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Soooooo, 42 is nice and all, but you make one movie about baseball and you are suddenly considered some sort of expert on baseball? Am I misunderstanding his role here? This seems like putting together a 8 person committee to help find a head coach for a college football team, and forgetting to put anyone on the committee who’s ever actually had any football experience.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Dec 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Hey – the NFL study concussions for 19 years without a Neurosurgeon involved. Who says you need “experts”

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Yea, well that “study” was similar to how the Tobacco Industry “studied” the effects of smoking for 25 years and came up with no conclusions.

• raysfan1 - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Perhaps they are thinking Hollywood connections will = better marketing which will = more $ to the museum.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM

His connections is the only thing I could think of to get a person like this on the board. Be clear, I’m in no way criticizing the person or his abilities, I’m just confused as to his qualifications. It just seems like an odd choice to me. But maybe you are right, maybe they feel they have enough baseball people and want someone to bridge a gap into other avenues like Hollywood, or maybe even political connections.

• raysfan1 - Dec 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Of course it’s also possible they’ve really no idea what they’re doing either.

• gloccamorra - Dec 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Actually, Tull, personally is a baseball fan. When John Moores put the Padres up for sale, Tull put together a group to bid on the team. The group dropped out when the price reached six “Titanics” or 47 Dark Knight sequels.

4. Jon Weisman - Dec 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

In general, bringing people into a board of directors is less about having people being experts on the same thing as it is about bringing in different kinds of expertise. You’ll see lots of crossovers in terms of interests and occupations.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2815)