Dec 19, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Jon Morosi reports that the White Sox are near an agreement with free agent reliever Scott Downs. Rosenthal says it’s a one-year deal for $4 million, with a vesting option that could make it two-years, $8 million.
Downs, most recently with Atlanta, is coming off a season in which he posted a 2.49 ERA and 37/19 K/BB ratio in 43 innings between the Angels and the Braves. Atlanta left him off their postseason roster, but given that Atlanta also didn’t use their best reliever in the highest-leverage moment the team faced all season this is not necessarily a reflection on Downs’ merits.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 17
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 45
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 66
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)