Dec 19, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Jon Morosi reports that the White Sox are near an agreement with free agent reliever Scott Downs. Rosenthal says it’s a one-year deal for $4 million, with a vesting option that could make it two-years, $8 million.
Downs, most recently with Atlanta, is coming off a season in which he posted a 2.49 ERA and 37/19 K/BB ratio in 43 innings between the Angels and the Braves. Atlanta left him off their postseason roster, but given that Atlanta also didn’t use their best reliever in the highest-leverage moment the team faced all season this is not necessarily a reflection on Downs’ merits.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 28
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)