Dec 19, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that Chicago Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro has had $3.6 million seized from his bank accounts as the result of a legal dispute with a baseball school in the Dominican Republic. The upshot: the baseball school claims that Castro’s father agreed to give the school a percentage of Castro’s career earnings.
Castro was 15 at the time, though, so if this happened in the U.S. court system the dispute would go nowhere. Kids can’t agree to contracts like that and parents can’t sign away their kids’ rights like that. Presumably the system works a bit differently in the Dominican Republic.
Castro won’t go hungry — he signed a $60 million contract extension with the Cubs last year — but this takes a bite. And it seems crazy that it should have to.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)