Dec 19, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
The Brewers announced Thursday the creation of a team Wall of Honor at Miller Park in 2014 as a way of honoring players who carved niches in franchise lore during their playing days and time as staff members in Milwaukee.
The Wall of Honor commemorates players, coaches and executives who meet a set of critera based on service to the club and/or career accomplishments. There will be 58 members in the inaugural class to be honored on Friday, June 13.
Tom Haudricourt’s story lists all 58 figures from Brewers history who will be honored. It’s quite a walk down memory lane.
The wall is something of an outer-circle honor, as the team already has a “Walk of Fame” for its big-time elites like Molitor and Yount, but there is definitely something to say for honoring the good guys and long-serving fixtures of teams, not just the Hall of Fame talents. Very cool.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 4
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 38
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)