Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets

Dec 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EST

Carlos Beltran Getty Images

Carlos Beltran had his introductory news conference with the Yankees today and said all the things a guy who just signed with the Yankees is expected to say. It’s a great organization, it was his dream to play in pinstripes, etc. etc.

But of course, since Beltran spent so much time with the Mets, he was asked about his often turbulent time in Queens. Specifically, the topic of the smear-job the Mets did on Beltran with respect to a visit to Walter Reed Hospital during a trip to Washington came up.

The short version, for those who forgot: in 2010 Mets players made a trip to visit wounded veterans, but Beltran was in Puerto Rico on his off day to help launch his charity. The team knew this and actually have Beltran permission to miss the Walter Reed trip. And, for what it’s worth, the charity Beltran was launching that day just won Beltran the Clemente Award. Nevertheless, Mets sources anonymously trashed Beltran to the press, trying to make him out to be a team cancer or something. It was low, even by Mets standards.

Beltran talked about that today:

“The controversy about Walter Reed and the knee, the organization trying to prove as a player that I was a bad apple,” Beltran said. “I was this, I was that. I can deal with 0-for-4s and three strikeouts and talking to you guys. I can deal with that. When somebody is trying to hurt you in a personal way, trying to put things out there that are not me, we have trouble. Now it’s personal, you know what I’m saying? In that point, when they say all that about myself, of course I was hurt.”

Given the cheap shots the team fired at him back in 2010, I’d say that’s pretty restrained.

Welcome back to New York, Carlos.

1. larrymahnken - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Considering that Beltran actually offered to sign with the Yankees for less money than the Mets were offering in the 2004 offseason, I can buy that he always dreamed of playing for the Yankees.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Maybe so, but maybe was a “save me from that team in Queens”

• fanofevilempire - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Funny how Beltran never had a problem collecting close to 120 mil from the Mets.

• jeffbbf - Dec 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM

seems like pretty good revenge to me

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM

The amount of butthurt by Metsies is wonderful. Seriously guys, get over it.

3. flamethrower101 - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Wonder how Mets fans will react when Yankees visit Citi Field May 14-15. If they boo, it’ll show that, despite what Curtis Granderson thinks, true New Yorkers are actually Yankees fans.

Beltran was one of their best players ever and he barely gets any respect from the fans or the front office. Shame too. Shame that they did so and shame that Beltran is such a class act because if I were him I would’ve ripped a new one into each and every one of them.

• jerseyshoregiant - Dec 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM

As a Mets fan we were all made very aware of the fact that Beltran wanted to sign with the Yankees back then. We knew he never really wanted to be a Met and that is the primary reason he was never truly loved by the fans.
      Oh by the way. Beltran has been back to Citi field numerous times. Him coming back to citi field as Yankee is really only important to him.

4. tcostant - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM

The dirty little secret is that Beltran basicly begged the Yankees to sign him, but when they show little interest he signed with the Mets. He finally dating the girl he wanted to, and is trashing his ex. Shame on him.

• kruegere - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM

But, now, his dream girl is old and used up. He didn’t sign a prenup, so he’s basically going to be miserable.

• tcostant - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Great stuff! :)

• thebadguyswon - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Odds are, now that he’s a Yankee, he’ll be hurt half the time.

Enjoy!!

• fanofevilempire - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM

very true.

• anxovies - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Only a shame if they didn’t deserve it. Personally, I trash both of my exes whenever I get the chance. Do you hear that, Susan?!! do you hear that , Donna?!! You miserable, lying, money-grubbing, manipulating dogs! I’m glad you both turned to fat and wrinkles and I hope you still have the allergies that you were always whining about! Gasp!! Gasp!! (Turns red and collapses to the floor).

5. kcroyal - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Thank you Brian Cashman for saving Dayton Moore from himself. I’m A-Oki with not paying zombie Carlos Beltran 15 mill three years from now. Speaking of zombies GMDM, outside of the Vargas deal, has had a pretty solid offseason. I believe this to be a sign of the comming apocalypse. It took 7 years, but maybe Dayton has finally pulled his head out of his ass. Hey, it’s a process.

6. zzalapski - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM

What are the odds that in three years zombie Beltran will be more productive than any OF/DH the Royals have at that time?

7. cackalackyank - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Granderson dissed the Yankees, and their fans, so, given the history, he was entitiled, and the balance of terror is maintained.

8. El Bravo - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Wait, so where does Beltran “takes a shot at the Mets” in this?

9. pjmitch - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Hey Carlos, you are a great player no doubt, but remember that playoff game against STL when you stood and watched strike 3 pass by you? It still hurts, buddy. Just saying…..

• professor30 - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:16 PM

First thing i thought of when i read the headline, that bat is still up his ass.

• Kevin S. - Dec 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I’m sorry, you’re still on his ass for being frozen by one of the nastiest pitches in recent memory?

10. nymets4ever - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:13 PM

He has every right to be peeved @ the way the Mets and their fans treated him.

• thebadguyswon - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:32 PM

GTFOH with how the Mets fans treated him. Aside from boos in 2005, they treated him well. Remember they boo’ed Piazza too. Fans booing in NY….wow….never heard of that before.

This “story” is another example of the fine NY media machine spewing garbage to collect sales and page hits.

• Old Gator - Dec 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM

In general I would agree with you, but this story isn’t in any way about how the fans treated Beltran. It’s about the classless way that the butt end of the Wilpoon front orifice treated him. Moreover, he didn’t offer his response which was, as pointed out, very restrained. He was answering a question from the peanut gallery – and, obviously, trying not to be petty about it. You want real sour grapes, check out the snipes Cano took at the Borg as his Crew of the Minnow coming out party.

Anyhow, they didn’t lose to the Cards because Beltran took strike three. They lost because the Cardinals scored more runs than they did.

• thebadguyswon - Dec 20, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Gator – I agree. The Wilpons are scum.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 20, 2013 at 7:42 PM

See that comment three above yours? The one by pjmitch? It’s been 7 years since that at bat and mets fans still bring it up so let’s not talk like it was all sunshine and roses from the Queens faithful.

• thebadguyswon - Dec 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Yes….but many, many Mets fans let that go the next day. Including me. It was a perfect pitch.

• cur68 - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Do the Mets even get to the post season without Beltran? Think about it.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:49 AM

yes badguyswon, Beltran is a little too sensitive.

• thebadguyswon - Dec 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

well, the Wilpons did him wrong, no doubt. I just wish he wouldn’t have said anything. But Grandy fired one across the Yankees’ bow too, so I suppose turnabout was fair play.

11. docboss - Dec 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Classy guy. Stl salutes him.

12. richyballgame - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I’m a Met fan,but I still love Beltran. Wish him all the best in the Bronx.

13. yousuxxors - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Beltran carried the mets that postseason.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:50 AM

he also got caught looking @ strike 3, but he looked good with the bat on his shoulder.

14. NBCSports.com - Dec 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM

So does this put to bed the question that if/when Beltran makes it to the Hall, will he wear a Mets hat?

• Kevin S. - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM

What other hat would he wear? His stints with the Astros and Giants were rentals, Cardinals and Yankees short-term gigs. The only other option would be the Royals, and he just wasn’t the same player with them that he was in Flushing.

15. thebigwhitecat - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM

What number was he assigned? 14? 19? Yankees are probably saving 19 for Tanaka.

• cackalackyank - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM

16. psychologyofsports - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:14 AM

On a day of celebration where Carlos Beltran was being re-introduced to the New York media and the sports world as a New York Yankee his choice to put down the Mets demeaned both his new team as well as himself. And if nothing else it was in poor taste.

• sdelmonte - Dec 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I am with you. And I say that as someone who loved him as a Met and was going to root for him even in pinstripes. This is a classless comment that makes me think the animosity he is still mad about might have been a two way street.

17. psychologyofsports - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Beltran’s comments were nothing short of poor taste and bad timing. He demeaned himself and his new team the New York Yankees. He is a class act this was wrong time wrong place!

18. mrznyc - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Translation – “Mets sources ..” = the idiot son, Jeff.

19. mtr75 - Dec 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Three good seasons on a 7-year deal. I don’t know what he’s complaining about.

20. lostsok - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:36 AM

New York baseball blows. The West IS the best!

21. johnholly1039 - Dec 22, 2013 at 11:41 PM

How do you figure? I’m afraid numbers are not in your favor.

22. bbk1000 - Dec 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Obviously Craig never followed the Beltran situation while he was playing for the Mets….

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4990)