Dec 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
Carlos Beltran had his introductory news conference with the Yankees today and said all the things a guy who just signed with the Yankees is expected to say. It’s a great organization, it was his dream to play in pinstripes, etc. etc.
But of course, since Beltran spent so much time with the Mets, he was asked about his often turbulent time in Queens. Specifically, the topic of the smear-job the Mets did on Beltran with respect to a visit to Walter Reed Hospital during a trip to Washington came up.
The short version, for those who forgot: in 2010 Mets players made a trip to visit wounded veterans, but Beltran was in Puerto Rico on his off day to help launch his charity. The team knew this and actually have Beltran permission to miss the Walter Reed trip. And, for what it’s worth, the charity Beltran was launching that day just won Beltran the Clemente Award. Nevertheless, Mets sources anonymously trashed Beltran to the press, trying to make him out to be a team cancer or something. It was low, even by Mets standards.
“The controversy about Walter Reed and the knee, the organization trying to prove as a player that I was a bad apple,” Beltran said. “I was this, I was that. I can deal with 0-for-4s and three strikeouts and talking to you guys. I can deal with that. When somebody is trying to hurt you in a personal way, trying to put things out there that are not me, we have trouble. Now it’s personal, you know what I’m saying? In that point, when they say all that about myself, of course I was hurt.”
Given the cheap shots the team fired at him back in 2010, I’d say that’s pretty restrained.
Welcome back to New York, Carlos.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 60
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)