Dec 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran had his introductory news conference with the Yankees today and said all the things a guy who just signed with the Yankees is expected to say. It’s a great organization, it was his dream to play in pinstripes, etc. etc.
But of course, since Beltran spent so much time with the Mets, he was asked about his often turbulent time in Queens. Specifically, the topic of the smear-job the Mets did on Beltran with respect to a visit to Walter Reed Hospital during a trip to Washington came up.
The short version, for those who forgot: in 2010 Mets players made a trip to visit wounded veterans, but Beltran was in Puerto Rico on his off day to help launch his charity. The team knew this and actually have Beltran permission to miss the Walter Reed trip. And, for what it’s worth, the charity Beltran was launching that day just won Beltran the Clemente Award. Nevertheless, Mets sources anonymously trashed Beltran to the press, trying to make him out to be a team cancer or something. It was low, even by Mets standards.
“The controversy about Walter Reed and the knee, the organization trying to prove as a player that I was a bad apple,” Beltran said. “I was this, I was that. I can deal with 0-for-4s and three strikeouts and talking to you guys. I can deal with that. When somebody is trying to hurt you in a personal way, trying to put things out there that are not me, we have trouble. Now it’s personal, you know what I’m saying? In that point, when they say all that about myself, of course I was hurt.”
Given the cheap shots the team fired at him back in 2010, I’d say that’s pretty restrained.
Welcome back to New York, Carlos.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 24
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 41
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 57
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 105
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (105)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)