Dec 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
Carlos Beltran had his introductory news conference with the Yankees today and said all the things a guy who just signed with the Yankees is expected to say. It’s a great organization, it was his dream to play in pinstripes, etc. etc.
But of course, since Beltran spent so much time with the Mets, he was asked about his often turbulent time in Queens. Specifically, the topic of the smear-job the Mets did on Beltran with respect to a visit to Walter Reed Hospital during a trip to Washington came up.
The short version, for those who forgot: in 2010 Mets players made a trip to visit wounded veterans, but Beltran was in Puerto Rico on his off day to help launch his charity. The team knew this and actually have Beltran permission to miss the Walter Reed trip. And, for what it’s worth, the charity Beltran was launching that day just won Beltran the Clemente Award. Nevertheless, Mets sources anonymously trashed Beltran to the press, trying to make him out to be a team cancer or something. It was low, even by Mets standards.
“The controversy about Walter Reed and the knee, the organization trying to prove as a player that I was a bad apple,” Beltran said. “I was this, I was that. I can deal with 0-for-4s and three strikeouts and talking to you guys. I can deal with that. When somebody is trying to hurt you in a personal way, trying to put things out there that are not me, we have trouble. Now it’s personal, you know what I’m saying? In that point, when they say all that about myself, of course I was hurt.”
Given the cheap shots the team fired at him back in 2010, I’d say that’s pretty restrained.
Welcome back to New York, Carlos.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)