Dec 20, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
If their latest action is any indication, the Indians’ decision to have catcher Carlos Santana work out at third base wasn’t just made on a whim. As Paul Hoynes of The Plain Dealer reports, the Indians have sent infield coach Mike Sarbaugh down to the Dominican Republic to help Santana as he plays in winter ball. GM Chris Antonetti says that reports have been encouraging.
“It’s still very early in the process,” said GM Chris Antonetti. “Sarbie has been down there for a few days with Carlos. He’s made a couple of errors, but so far the reports have been encouraging.
“He made two errors in one game, but he also made a nice diving play.”
The Indians will have a better feel for the situation when Sarbaugh returns to Cleveland and gives them his report.
The Indians needed to make room behind the dish for Yan Gomes after his breakout season in 2013, and with Nick Swisher at first base, Santana volunteered to work out at third base, effectively pushing Lonnie Chisenhall down on the depth chart. If the experiment at third base doesn’t work out, the Indians shouldn’t have any issues making Santana their full-time DH.
Santana last played third base in 2008, one game with the Dodgers’ Single-A affiliate Inland Empire. Prior to that, he had played five games at third with Single-A Great Lakes in 2007, and 38 games combined in 2006 with Single-A Vero Beach and Ogden.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 82
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)