Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan

Dec 20, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

kevin youkilis getty Getty Images

Alex Speier of WEEI reports that Kevin Youkilis has reached an agreement to play for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan in 2014.

Youkilis’ 2013 season was a lost one. He signed a $12 million deal with the Yankees, but he was racked with injuries, playing in only 28 games and hitting a meager .219/.305/.343 with two homers. Youkilis hasn’t played more than 120 games since 2009, though he was a superior hitter as recently as 2011. Just a case of the guy’s body not holding up at all.

Best case: Youkilis kills the ball for Rakuten for a season and rebuilds some value for a late-career return to MLB. Worst case: Golden Eagles fans get to see a funky batting stance for a while.

1. skerney - Dec 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM

On Twitter, and on cue @halladaysbiceps is referring to the Rakuten club and NPB players as “Japs.” Another reminder as to why he is banished from this site.

• NatsLady - Dec 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Not only that, but he is comparing Rakuten’s delay on Tanaka as Pearl Harbor.

• bobwsc - Dec 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM

you remind us why he’s banished, but follow him on twitter?

• skerney - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I follow a few people on twitter simply to laugh at their failure, stupidity and self righteousness.

• NatsLady - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Morbid curiosity, I guess–because I wasn’t a regular on this site when he got banished. But I got pretty disgusted with the Pearl Harbor tweet, so it’s “unfollow” for me.

• NatsLady - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Upon examination, I’m NOT following him, he’s following me. So I would have to “block” him, I guess. I’ve never actually done that.

• nategearhart - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Wish they would have retired with the rest of Halladay.

• cur68 - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Ah, ‘Cepts. Still an arse.

2. chacochicken - Dec 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM

So the last of Nostradamus’ prophecies has come true.

“The following year without a beard,
    Abandoned by his brethren,
    With a shaking of the buttocks, the greek god walks
    O’er the passive sea to the land of Golden Eagles.

PS. A-Rod gets 50″

Totally verbatim

3. jm91rs - Dec 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I have to say, if I were a good/not great former player that didn’t have to worry about leaving a legacy that looked like I was too afraid to admit I was done (Manny Ramirez), I think it would be pretty nice to get some culture exposure and play out of the country for awhile. If someone wants to pay you money to take a one year vacation overseas that can’t be a bad thing.

4. doctorofsmuganomics - Dec 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM

The pressing issue: Will they let him grow his beard bacl

• doctorofsmuganomics - Dec 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM

err, back.

don’t tell anyone about that, my malpractice insurance will go up

• Old Gator - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM

In any case, we can hope so. The more of it he hides, the more likely our relationship with Japan won’t go down the same crapper as our relationship with India.

5. jfk69 - Dec 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Kevin don’t go. Wait till Arod decision. The Yankees will have plenty of money to waste if he only gets 50 games.

6. larrymahnken - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Apparently the Yankees had asked him if he wanted to come back next season and he said he wanted to stay close to his home on the West Coast. So I don’t get this decision at all.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

If you go by how many cities are between the two locations, Japan is way closer.

7. proudlycanadian - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM

How much of the time will he play in Japan, and how much time will he be injured?

8. Old Gator - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I do hope he’s taking his face with him, and leaving his dog’s ass here.

• vivabear - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Either way; he’s more attractive than you are to the opposite sex.

• Old Gator - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Never having seen me, he says….well, that’s par for the course for you. Not knowing what you’re talking about, which usually gives others pause, is your most efficacious stimulant.

• vivabear - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM

You’re right about one thing, I’ve never seen you – and would I never want to. While imagining your contrived bull$hit, you overlooked something. I never mentioned physically attractiveness, just attractiveness in general.

When someone considers your age (limp dick), overall douche baggery, proclivity for never admitting fault and racist attitude towards Latinos – I’d say Youk’s athletic talent, money and apparent down to earth attitude would win out every single time.

• Old Gator - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM

That’s an unusually well thought out comment for someone who doesn’t stoop to physical insults, but then resorts to every other juvenile jape he can think of – which, characteristically, again, aren’t many, are as predictably lame and trite as one would expect from a dimwit, and of course in your irremediably clueless way, self-subverting to a fault.

And for all that, you’re still wrong about the Tweeter-Garza trade – which, having been made to look like a fool about, is what you’re really pissed off at me about.

• vivabear - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Logan Morrison for Garza: u keep bringing it up, seems to me ur the one mad about it. Still oblivious to how idiotic of a proposal it would have been. U think because the cubs traded zambrano to Miami, somehow if Morrison was in the deal the cubs would have substituted Garza without a second thought. The fact u think that trade was possible shows how little u know about baseball.

• jimeejohnson - Dec 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Are you Youk’s mom?

9. eatitfanboy - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Boy, I guess he really wanted to play with Tanaka this season.

• Reflex - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Nice

10. chip56 - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Kevin has big shoes to fill – he’s replacing Casey McGehee

11. Caught Looking - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Things really haven’t gone well for him from a baseball perspective since marrying Tom Brady’s sister early in the 2012 season.

12. timpaz - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Who Cares, Washed Up second rate player to begin with.

13. pisano - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I hope he gives them more than the 28 games he gave the Yankees for the 12 mil. the Yankees paid him.

14. keltictim - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM

There is no denying the Red Sox strategy of not paying players for sentimental reasons. If Ortiz had bombed this past year they wouldn’t be talking extension at all. The Yankees could learn a thing or 3.

15. yournuts - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Good luck Youk.

16. joestemme - Dec 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM

How do you pronounce “Youk!!!” in Japanese?

17. bravess23 - Dec 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM

“The Greek God of Walks” should get another shot at least a spring training invite

• Old Gator - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Not a bad nickname for a guy who is ackcherley Jewish. maybe “The Golem of Walks” would be more appropriate.

18. blynch67 - Dec 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Absolutely no reason to interject a man’s faith into the conversation.

Your joke is not even a little bit funny.

Now “I hope he takes his face with him, and leave his dog’s ass home”, that IS hilarious!!!

But I’m still voting down on the above.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3818)