Dec 20, 2013, 7:08 AM EST
The other day the New York Post reported that Random House and HarperCollins were in a bidding war for an Alex Rodriguez tell-all book. Only problem with that is that no one has told Random House and HarperCollins about it:
“It’s totally fake,” said one publishing insider. The insider also said no house would be foolish enough to plunk down that kind of money for an A-Rod book project given the risks.“One reason he’d never get anywhere near that money is the obvious risk that as soon as the book was published, it could and probably would be discredited,” said the insider.
“He’ll say anything as long as it’s not under oath.”
Maybe there’s no book, but I’d bet my kids that it’s not because of publishers’ concerns over its veracity. If we have learned anything in the past decade it’s that publishers will put out anything with a celebrity’s name on it and they will gladly — even gleefully — eschew fact-checking and scrutiny because, hey, if they did that the subject may shop it to another publishing house and that would be a bad thing for the end-of-year numbers. This kind of stuff gets put out all the time.
Oh well. It sounded like it might’ve been one hell of a book that none of us would’ve wanted to read. And now we can’t.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 23
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 96
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (96)