Dec 20, 2013, 7:08 AM EST
The other day the New York Post reported that Random House and HarperCollins were in a bidding war for an Alex Rodriguez tell-all book. Only problem with that is that no one has told Random House and HarperCollins about it:
“It’s totally fake,” said one publishing insider. The insider also said no house would be foolish enough to plunk down that kind of money for an A-Rod book project given the risks.“One reason he’d never get anywhere near that money is the obvious risk that as soon as the book was published, it could and probably would be discredited,” said the insider.
“He’ll say anything as long as it’s not under oath.”
Maybe there’s no book, but I’d bet my kids that it’s not because of publishers’ concerns over its veracity. If we have learned anything in the past decade it’s that publishers will put out anything with a celebrity’s name on it and they will gladly — even gleefully — eschew fact-checking and scrutiny because, hey, if they did that the subject may shop it to another publishing house and that would be a bad thing for the end-of-year numbers. This kind of stuff gets put out all the time.
Oh well. It sounded like it might’ve been one hell of a book that none of us would’ve wanted to read. And now we can’t.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)