Dec 20, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The other day the New York Post reported that Random House and HarperCollins were in a bidding war for an Alex Rodriguez tell-all book. Only problem with that is that no one has told Random House and HarperCollins about it:
“It’s totally fake,” said one publishing insider. The insider also said no house would be foolish enough to plunk down that kind of money for an A-Rod book project given the risks.“One reason he’d never get anywhere near that money is the obvious risk that as soon as the book was published, it could and probably would be discredited,” said the insider.
“He’ll say anything as long as it’s not under oath.”
Maybe there’s no book, but I’d bet my kids that it’s not because of publishers’ concerns over its veracity. If we have learned anything in the past decade it’s that publishers will put out anything with a celebrity’s name on it and they will gladly — even gleefully — eschew fact-checking and scrutiny because, hey, if they did that the subject may shop it to another publishing house and that would be a bad thing for the end-of-year numbers. This kind of stuff gets put out all the time.
Oh well. It sounded like it might’ve been one hell of a book that none of us would’ve wanted to read. And now we can’t.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)