Dec 20, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The other day the New York Post reported that Random House and HarperCollins were in a bidding war for an Alex Rodriguez tell-all book. Only problem with that is that no one has told Random House and HarperCollins about it:
“It’s totally fake,” said one publishing insider. The insider also said no house would be foolish enough to plunk down that kind of money for an A-Rod book project given the risks.“One reason he’d never get anywhere near that money is the obvious risk that as soon as the book was published, it could and probably would be discredited,” said the insider.
“He’ll say anything as long as it’s not under oath.”
Maybe there’s no book, but I’d bet my kids that it’s not because of publishers’ concerns over its veracity. If we have learned anything in the past decade it’s that publishers will put out anything with a celebrity’s name on it and they will gladly — even gleefully — eschew fact-checking and scrutiny because, hey, if they did that the subject may shop it to another publishing house and that would be a bad thing for the end-of-year numbers. This kind of stuff gets put out all the time.
Oh well. It sounded like it might’ve been one hell of a book that none of us would’ve wanted to read. And now we can’t.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 18
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)