Dec 20, 2013, 7:08 AM EST
The other day the New York Post reported that Random House and HarperCollins were in a bidding war for an Alex Rodriguez tell-all book. Only problem with that is that no one has told Random House and HarperCollins about it:
“It’s totally fake,” said one publishing insider. The insider also said no house would be foolish enough to plunk down that kind of money for an A-Rod book project given the risks.“One reason he’d never get anywhere near that money is the obvious risk that as soon as the book was published, it could and probably would be discredited,” said the insider.
“He’ll say anything as long as it’s not under oath.”
Maybe there’s no book, but I’d bet my kids that it’s not because of publishers’ concerns over its veracity. If we have learned anything in the past decade it’s that publishers will put out anything with a celebrity’s name on it and they will gladly — even gleefully — eschew fact-checking and scrutiny because, hey, if they did that the subject may shop it to another publishing house and that would be a bad thing for the end-of-year numbers. This kind of stuff gets put out all the time.
Oh well. It sounded like it might’ve been one hell of a book that none of us would’ve wanted to read. And now we can’t.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)