Dec 20, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Grant Balfour‘s two-year, $15 million deal with the Orioles is in jeopardy because the team didn’t like what it saw during his pre-signing physical exam and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that they’re turning their attention to Fernando Rodney.
Any pursuit of Rodney would only happen if Balfour’s deal is wiped away, but Connolly suggests that’s “likely” to happen now.
Comparing their numbers over the past two seasons …
BALFOUR RODNEY Innings 137 141 ERA 2.56 1.91 SO/9 9.4 10.1 BB/9 3.6 3.2 HR/9 0.7 0.3 AVG against .182 .189 Save % 92.5 89.4
Pretty damn close. It’ll be interesting to see if the money ends up close too.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 2
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)