Dec 20, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Grant Balfour‘s two-year, $15 million deal with the Orioles is in jeopardy because the team didn’t like what it saw during his pre-signing physical exam and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that they’re turning their attention to Fernando Rodney.
Any pursuit of Rodney would only happen if Balfour’s deal is wiped away, but Connolly suggests that’s “likely” to happen now.
Comparing their numbers over the past two seasons …
BALFOUR RODNEY Innings 137 141 ERA 2.56 1.91 SO/9 9.4 10.1 BB/9 3.6 3.2 HR/9 0.7 0.3 AVG against .182 .189 Save % 92.5 89.4
Pretty damn close. It’ll be interesting to see if the money ends up close too.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)