Dec 20, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
Joel Sherman of the Post thinks he has an idea: either January 3 or January 13. Why?
Here is why: The Hall of Fame announcement is Wednesday, Jan. 8 and both the Commissioners Office and the Players Association would probably ask Horowitz to be respectful not to overwhelm such a special moment with a Rodriguez announcement.
So he figures that either going before that — on the third — or safely after — on the 13th — would give the Hall of Fame announcement the wide berth it deserves.
Which, eh, not buying that that is a concern for anyone. For one thing, MLB is not in control of the arbitrator’s calendar. They’re just as much at the mercy of his schedule as A-Rod’s team is. And I’m having a hard time featuring Horowitz caring too particularly much about MLB’s P.R. needs. Given that he can be fired by either side for any reason, he has no real option but to be his own man. If is seen to be leaning to help one side, the other is going to fire him.
But let’s say that MLB and the arbitrator are on the same page, P.R.-wise. Remember last summer how the first wave of announced suspensions came right before Hall of Fame induction weekend? Selig LOVED that because it gave him a victory lap moment up in Cooperstown with copious quotes from ex-major leaguers about how the game was being cleaned up and all of that stuff. You don’t think Bud Selig would love to have Frank Thomas or someone available to compare and contrast himself to A-Rod in early January? You bet your bippy he would. I think MLB would be just fine being able to pair up the announcement of A-Rod’s suspension and the election of some widely-perceived-to-be-clean Hall of Famers.
Of course, if the decision is to overturn A-Rod’s suspension, well, that would be hilarious.
Maybe that’s when the decision comes out. Maybe it isn’t. But I don’t think that reading the tea leaves like Sherman is here is all that useful of an exercise.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 44
- The Nationals and Phillies are nearing a trade for Jonathan Papelbon 25
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 81
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)