Dec 21, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
Grant Balfour‘s contract with the Orioles was nixed over a disputed issue with his shoulder, but that messy situation isn’t scaring off one of his former teams. According to Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM, the Rays “are in” on the All-Star closer.
The Rays are somewhat of a logical fit at this point, as they are in the market for a closer and FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Rays team physician Koco Eaton performed an MRI on Balfour’s shoulder yesterday and was surprised that the Orioles backed out of the deal. With the market starting to shrink for closers, they could be able to get him for a discount rate. And hey, Balfour would get a chance to see a lot of the Orioles if he pitches in the American League East.
Balfour previously pitched for the Rays from 2007-2010, posting a 3.33 ERA in 203 appearances as a set-up man. It was there that he enjoyed his first real success in the majors.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)