If Orioles don’t bring in new closer, Tommy Hunter the “clear favorite” to take over for Jim Johnson
Dec 21, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
The Orioles’ closer situation is well-publicized at this point, considering their signing-then-unsigning of Grant Balfour was in the headlines for a while, and we also learned they have talked with the Phillies about Jonathan Papelbon and have shifted their focus to free agent Fernando Rodney as well. MASN’s Roch Kubatko reports that, if the Orioles aren’t able to grab a new closer from outside the organization, Tommy Hunter would be the “clear favorite” to take over the closer’s role.
Hunter has been used as a starter for the vast majority of his career, starting 75 of 98 games in which he had appeared entering the 2013 season. However, in 2013, the Orioles used him as a full-time reliever with good results. Hunter posted a 2.81 ERA in 68 relief outings spanning 86.1 innings of work, striking out 68 and unintentionally walking 13.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)