Dec 21, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Marlins have signed Jordany Valdespin to a minor league contract. This confirms a report from Baseball America’s J.J. Cooper yesterday and also proves that Valdespin’s fashion sense is rather prophetic.
Possibly the most-talked about .219 career hitter ever, Valdespin wore out his welcome in New York after a number of incidents with teammates, the opposition, and even his own manager Terry Collins. Making matters worse, he also served a 50-game suspension this summer for his ties to Biogenesis. The Mets finally non-tendered him last month.
Valdespin’s deal with the Marlins doesn’t even include an invite to spring training, so it’s fair to say that his career is pretty much at rock bottom right now. He’s expected to begin the season in Triple-A.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27