Dec 21, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
The East Bay Express is reporting that Joe Lacob, one of two owners of the NBA’s Golden State Warriors along with Peter Guber, is one among at least three potential investment groups interested in purchasing the Athletics and building a new stadium on the waterfront in Oakland. The authors, Steven Tavares and Robert Gammon, add that Guber had tried to purchase the A’s back in 2002 and Lacob had expressed interest around the same time as well.
Guber contacted the L.A. Times to clarify the East Bay Express report, which had initially included him along with co-owner Lacob. Via Bill Shaikin:
Guber declined comment about whether Lacob might be interested but called it “categorically incorrect” to say he might be.
“I have not had any conversations with the league or any of the owners about buying the team,” Guber said. “I love the Dodgers. I love the Warriors.”
Guber, a veteran Hollywood executive whose Mandalay Entertainment Group has branched into sports, invested $25 million into Guggenheim Baseball Management’s $2-billion purchase of the Dodgers last year.
The Athletics have been in the news for this reason for quite some time, particularly when the O.co Coliseum experienced some unfortunate sewage problems in June and September. The Coliseum, which has been renamed several times, opened in 1966 and was renovated in 1995-96. It is the fifth-oldest ballpark still in use, behind Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Dodger Stadium, and Angel Stadium of Anaheim.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (144)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)