Dec 21, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman and Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News are both reporting that the deal is worth $130 million. That’s $10 million less than the reported offer from the Yankees, but when you figure the tax difference between the states, Scott Boras actually did pretty well for his client here.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that it’s a straight seven-year, $130 million deal with a limited no-trade clause and no opt-outs or options. The deal will run through Choo’s age-37 season.
12:15 p.m. ET: Big news on what was originally expected to be a sleepy Saturday in the baseball world, as CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Rangers have agreed to a seven-year deal with free agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo. Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News has confirmed the report. No word yet on the exact dollar amount.
We heard earlier this week that Choo had previously turned down a seven-year, $140 million offer from the Yankees, so it will be interesting to see if Scott Boras was able to top that. Rangers general manager Jon Daniels has been coy about his interest in Choo this winter, but they reportedly offered him a seven-year deal at the Winter Meetings.
This is the second major splash of the winter for Daniels, as he traded second baseman Ian Kinsler to the Tigers for first baseman Prince Fielder in November. The Rangers were seventh in the American League in runs scored this past season, but that lineup is suddenly looking quite potent again with Choo at the top and Fielder in the middle.
Choo, 31, hit .285/.423/.462 with 21 home runs, 54 RBI and 20 stolen bases over 154 games with the Reds in 2013. He has a .389 career on-base percentage.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)