Dec 21, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
The Rangers have reportedly agreed to a seven-year, $130 million contract with free agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo. While it was already unlikely that Nelson Cruz was going to return to Texas, this pretty much seals it. So the big question is, where will he land now? Bob Nightengale of USA Today has one guess:
It’s a logical assumption, as the Mariners and Cruz have been linked throughout the offseason. And the Mariners still need to add other parts if they are serious about making a run at things. Still, I wouldn’t rule out the Orioles, as they have been mentioned as a possibility before and they could be compelled to make a big splash amid the nasty fallout from the Grant Balfour situation. Not saying it would be the right course of action, but I could see it.
Cruz turned down a qualifying offer from the Rangers to test free agency, so whoever signs him will have to surrender a draft pick. While there was talk of him potentially getting $75 million just a few weeks ago, that could be a stretch with few obvious fits remaining.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17