Grant Balfour: “I am healthy”

Dec 22, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT

balfour getty Getty Images

The Orioles canceled their two-year agreement with Grant Balfour after discovering something bothersome during the free agent right-hander’s pre-signing physical. Balfour has publicly lashed out at the Baltimore front office for the way things were handled — even threatening to file an official grievance — and he appeared Sunday morning on MLB Network Radio to further express his frustration.

Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM shared some snippets of that interview on Twitter:

Balfour, 35, posted a 2.35 ERA (154 ERA+) in his three years with Oakland while tallying 64 saves.

1. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM

What happened to that HBT story about the Yanks/Tigers being interested in Balfour? It was up this morning and then disappeared a few hours ago.

• uyf1950 - Dec 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I did a search a few minutes ago on that very topic and ever time I click on the headline it comes back not found. HBT must have deleted it.

• cur68 - Dec 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM

See Drew’s comment to Gator about it. Its in the Starlin Castro post.

• uyf1950 - Dec 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Thank you, just went to it and saw it.

2. uyf1950 - Dec 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Would love to see the Yankees sign him even to a two year deal. He’s a perfect fit to combine with Robertson in the closers/set up role.

Under the right circumstances I can see Balfour choosing either the Rays or Yankees to sign with in 2014 as payback to the Orioles for backing out of their deal. I would just like it to be the Yankees.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Yeah, and if Balfour says he’s healthy, the Yanks could do a 1year $5M deal with a vesting option for a second. Like if he pitches 55 innings the second year vests at the same price, maybe 65+ it adds a few million?

• hittfamily - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Seriously? You think he signs a 1 year/5 mil contract, or are you being sarcastic? I thought 2/15, which he agreed to was under market. I don’t think I want to live in a world where Joba gets 3 mil and Balfour only gets 5.

• uyf1950 - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I agree I think it may take a little more but not much more then that in dollars. I can see $6MM the 1st year and vesting option that guarantees a 2nd year at $6MM with potentially another million in incentives on IP’ed or games finished. A $12 or $13MM deal with relatively easy incentives or vesting options I would think would sound attractive.

• uyf1950 - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

@ hittfamily, actually Joba’s contract with the Tigers was for $2.5MM guaranteed and another $500K in incentives based on games pitched.

But I do agree Balfour’s initial signing for 2 years / $15MM did seem a little light. But that $15MM bell has now been rung and any team now interested in him probably won’t go quite that high since Balfour can be viewed by potential suitors as being on the rebound after the Orioles refused to complete their deal. Just a thought.

• hittfamily - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I agree that that is now the max for a Balfour deal. I still think he gets it though, because I think a team says “Wait. What? That cheap?”. Kind of like with the Fister deal. A lot of teams didn’t bother making the call, because of what the price likely was. I saw Billy Beane trade for a not-very-good closer making 10 mil a year. I saw JP Howell sign a 2/11 deal. I saw Boone Logan sign a 3/16.5 deal. I saw Phil Hughes sign a 3/24 deal. I really have a hard time believing I will see a Balfour 1/5 deal, or even a 1/7 deal. If he is going to sign that deal, there really is no “list of potential suitors”, because all 30 teams will sign that contract right now.

• uyf1950 - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

@hittfamily, a team could also think to themselves that the reason Balfour was willing to sign for $15MM over 2 years was because he know their might be a problem with his physical. So their might be something to the Orioles concerns. I don’t know.

I guess it could go either way. But if all or any of these current rumors are to be believed we should find out shortly as reports indicate there a teams interested in him.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM

It’s a bit low, but someone saw something scary enough to void the contract. Let’s assume it’s a shoulder issue, which can be scary. Michael Pineda had shoulder surgery and hasn’t pitched for the Yanks in 2 years, and who knows if he’ll even pitch for them this year. I don’t really care if the Yanks offer $5 or $6 or $7M as long as they do their due diligence on the medicals (say unlike Wright who failed his physical and the yanks still signed him).

3. hittfamily - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I have seen Grant yell at himself because he threw ball 4. I’d love to see what he looks like when a 15 mil contract is retracted

4. barrywhererufrom - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I am Batman!!

• Old Gator - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Yeah, and you actually believe that too.

• barrywhererufrom - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Actially old jackass I know you are a moron. And I.am still batman

• Old Gator - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Thumb yourself up much?

Tell you what, Batsy – howsabout running that ole’ bat signal up the pole so your keepers will know where to bring their butterfly nets?

• barrywhererufrom - Dec 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Actually old arse i really dont care who likes my post. If you do you are even more of a loser than i thought you were

• Old Gator - Dec 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Nor should you care. A real man wears everyone else’s conviction that he’s a dope like a badge of pride.

5. doctorofsmuganomics - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I’ll be the judge of that. I am the doctor around here.

Sidenote to Mr. Balfour: I accept…”donations”. Winkwink

6. beachnbaseball - Dec 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM

The Orioles organization is becoming a Leper Colony. Players will begin shunning them. MLB’s laughingstock.

• Old Gator - Dec 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM

They still have a long way to go before they sink to the level of the Feesh.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3501)