Dec 22, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
In today’s column for the Boston Globe, Nick Cafardo reports that free agent first baseman/DH Lyle Overbay hasn’t drawn much interest thus far in the off-season. Overbay turns 37 years old next month and has posted a below-average adjusted OPS in each of the past three seasons (88, 95, 87; 100 is average) but he proved to be quite useful to the Yankees when Mark Teixeira succumbed to a wrist injury.
If used as a platoon partner at first base or at DH, Overbay makes sense for a team looking to boost production on a budget. He posted a .748 OPS against right-handed pitching last season compared to .516 against lefties and has an .815/.684 split over his 13-year career. Cafardo suggests the Orioles or Indians could be fits but doesn’t expect Overbay to find a home until January.
Unfortunately for Overbay, this off-season has featured a glut of options at first base, so his value is less than it normally would be in a typical off-season. Five free agent first baseman signed multi-year deals, another six received a one-year deal, Kevin Youkilis went to Japan, and still there are in excess of ten free agent first basemen remaining including Overbay.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)