Dec 22, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
The drama may be over soon. Ben Badler of Baseball America did the translation work on media reports out of Japan:
Tanaka is currently away in Tokyo making appearances at events today and tomorrow, according to Japanese media reports, including Nikkan Sports. While Tanaka said he has yet to hear back from Eagles management since he informed the team of his desire to pitch in Major League Baseball next season, it’s expected that the Eagles will inform Tanaka of their decision at their next meeting.
That meeting is likely to take place as soon as Tanaka arrives back from Tokyo — Tuesday, December 24 or Wednesday, December 25.
There have been conflicting reports about the Rakuten Golden Eagles’ intentions. Probably because the team itself is conflicted. They’re upset about the new posting fee system, which puts a $20 million maximum on posting fees, but they also don’t want to rob Tanaka of his dream to compete at baseball’s highest level. Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA and 183/32 K/BB ratio in 212 innings this past summer in Japan and could command more than $100 million from a Major League Baseball team if Rakuten allows him to leave.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 54
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)