Dec 22, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
The drama may be over soon. Ben Badler of Baseball America did the translation work on media reports out of Japan:
Tanaka is currently away in Tokyo making appearances at events today and tomorrow, according to Japanese media reports, including Nikkan Sports. While Tanaka said he has yet to hear back from Eagles management since he informed the team of his desire to pitch in Major League Baseball next season, it’s expected that the Eagles will inform Tanaka of their decision at their next meeting.
That meeting is likely to take place as soon as Tanaka arrives back from Tokyo — Tuesday, December 24 or Wednesday, December 25.
There have been conflicting reports about the Rakuten Golden Eagles’ intentions. Probably because the team itself is conflicted. They’re upset about the new posting fee system, which puts a $20 million maximum on posting fees, but they also don’t want to rob Tanaka of his dream to compete at baseball’s highest level. Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA and 183/32 K/BB ratio in 212 innings this past summer in Japan and could command more than $100 million from a Major League Baseball team if Rakuten allows him to leave.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)