Dec 22, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
The drama may be over soon. Ben Badler of Baseball America did the translation work on media reports out of Japan:
Tanaka is currently away in Tokyo making appearances at events today and tomorrow, according to Japanese media reports, including Nikkan Sports. While Tanaka said he has yet to hear back from Eagles management since he informed the team of his desire to pitch in Major League Baseball next season, it’s expected that the Eagles will inform Tanaka of their decision at their next meeting.
That meeting is likely to take place as soon as Tanaka arrives back from Tokyo — Tuesday, December 24 or Wednesday, December 25.
There have been conflicting reports about the Rakuten Golden Eagles’ intentions. Probably because the team itself is conflicted. They’re upset about the new posting fee system, which puts a $20 million maximum on posting fees, but they also don’t want to rob Tanaka of his dream to compete at baseball’s highest level. Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA and 183/32 K/BB ratio in 212 innings this past summer in Japan and could command more than $100 million from a Major League Baseball team if Rakuten allows him to leave.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)