Dec 26, 2013, 10:27 AM EST
Last year Murray Chass promised that this year would be his last Hall of Fame vote. All he wanted was one last chance to vote in Jack Morris because, well, who the heck knows. I presume because it’ll agitate statheads, but Chass has never been one for consistent explanations for what he does and what he thinks.
Anyway, he announced his Hall of Fame ballot today. He’s voting for Morris, Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine. He says he may vote for Frank Thomas. As for the rest:
The boxes next to these 10 names will not get an X: Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Eric Gagne, Paul Lo Duca, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Mike Piazza, Sammy Sosa. These non-exes won’t get my vote because they were proved to have cheated, admitted they cheated or are strongly suspected of having cheated.
1. Aren’t there better reasons to not vote for Paul Lo Duca and Eric Gagne than their steroid use? and
2. Who, besides Chass, “strongly suspects” Craig Biggio of steroid use? I can’t for the life of me think of anyone who has made such an accusation in public.
Oh well, it’s Chass and he’s a full-blown kook, so who knows. What the BBWAA’s excuse is for letting him and people like him continue to vote for baseball’s highest honor, however, is probably a legitimate question.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)