Dec 26, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
Last year Murray Chass promised that this year would be his last Hall of Fame vote. All he wanted was one last chance to vote in Jack Morris because, well, who the heck knows. I presume because it’ll agitate statheads, but Chass has never been one for consistent explanations for what he does and what he thinks.
Anyway, he announced his Hall of Fame ballot today. He’s voting for Morris, Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine. He says he may vote for Frank Thomas. As for the rest:
The boxes next to these 10 names will not get an X: Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Eric Gagne, Paul Lo Duca, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Mike Piazza, Sammy Sosa. These non-exes won’t get my vote because they were proved to have cheated, admitted they cheated or are strongly suspected of having cheated.
1. Aren’t there better reasons to not vote for Paul Lo Duca and Eric Gagne than their steroid use? and
2. Who, besides Chass, “strongly suspects” Craig Biggio of steroid use? I can’t for the life of me think of anyone who has made such an accusation in public.
Oh well, it’s Chass and he’s a full-blown kook, so who knows. What the BBWAA’s excuse is for letting him and people like him continue to vote for baseball’s highest honor, however, is probably a legitimate question.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)