Dec 26, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
Last year Murray Chass promised that this year would be his last Hall of Fame vote. All he wanted was one last chance to vote in Jack Morris because, well, who the heck knows. I presume because it’ll agitate statheads, but Chass has never been one for consistent explanations for what he does and what he thinks.
Anyway, he announced his Hall of Fame ballot today. He’s voting for Morris, Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine. He says he may vote for Frank Thomas. As for the rest:
The boxes next to these 10 names will not get an X: Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Eric Gagne, Paul Lo Duca, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Mike Piazza, Sammy Sosa. These non-exes won’t get my vote because they were proved to have cheated, admitted they cheated or are strongly suspected of having cheated.
1. Aren’t there better reasons to not vote for Paul Lo Duca and Eric Gagne than their steroid use? and
2. Who, besides Chass, “strongly suspects” Craig Biggio of steroid use? I can’t for the life of me think of anyone who has made such an accusation in public.
Oh well, it’s Chass and he’s a full-blown kook, so who knows. What the BBWAA’s excuse is for letting him and people like him continue to vote for baseball’s highest honor, however, is probably a legitimate question.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)