Dec 26, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Very sad news to pass along this evening, as Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that former major league outfielder Paul Blair has passed away at the age of 69.
An eight-time Gold Glove Award winner, Blair compiled a .250/.302/.382 batting line over 17 seasons in the majors between the Orioles, Yankees and Reds. He’s best known for the 13 seasons he spent in Baltimore, during which he won all of his Gold Gloves, made two All-Star appearances and was a part of World Series championship teams in 1966 and 1970. He ranks seventh in franchise history in games played, eighth in stolen bases and 11th in hits and runs scored.
Blair was traded to the Yankees after the 1976 season and soon added two more World Series titles to his impressive resume. Below is video of his game-winning hit in the 12th inning of Game 1 of the 1977 World Series against the Dodgers. The Yankees ultimately won the series in six games.
As our own Matthew Pouliot notes, Blair is second all-time in defensive WAR (wins above replacement) among outfielders, trailing only Andruw Jones. Hall of Famer Willie Mays ranks third.
We’ll add reaction to Blair’s passing throughout the evening.
Bumbry: "I was smart enough to realize that the guy won a lot of Gold Gloves. He must know something."—
Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) December 27, 2013
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)