Dec 26, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Very sad news to pass along this evening, as Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that former major league outfielder Paul Blair has passed away at the age of 69.
An eight-time Gold Glove Award winner, Blair compiled a .250/.302/.382 batting line over 17 seasons in the majors between the Orioles, Yankees and Reds. He’s best known for the 13 seasons he spent in Baltimore, during which he won all of his Gold Gloves, made two All-Star appearances and was a part of World Series championship teams in 1966 and 1970. He ranks seventh in franchise history in games played, eighth in stolen bases and 11th in hits and runs scored.
Blair was traded to the Yankees after the 1976 season and soon added two more World Series titles to his impressive resume. Below is video of his game-winning hit in the 12th inning of Game 1 of the 1977 World Series against the Dodgers. The Yankees ultimately won the series in six games.
As our own Matthew Pouliot notes, Blair is second all-time in defensive WAR (wins above replacement) among outfielders, trailing only Andruw Jones. Hall of Famer Willie Mays ranks third.
We’ll add reaction to Blair’s passing throughout the evening.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)