Dec 26, 2013, 9:51 PM EST
Very sad news to pass along this evening, as Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that former major league outfielder Paul Blair has passed away at the age of 69.
An eight-time Gold Glove Award winner, Blair compiled a .250/.302/.382 batting line over 17 seasons in the majors between the Orioles, Yankees and Reds. He’s best known for the 13 seasons he spent in Baltimore, during which he won all of his Gold Gloves, made two All-Star appearances and was a part of World Series championship teams in 1966 and 1970. He ranks seventh in franchise history in games played, eighth in stolen bases and 11th in hits and runs scored.
Blair was traded to the Yankees after the 1976 season and soon added two more World Series titles to his impressive resume. Below is video of his game-winning hit in the 12th inning of Game 1 of the 1977 World Series against the Dodgers. The Yankees ultimately won the series in six games.
As our own Matthew Pouliot notes, Blair is second all-time in defensive WAR (wins above replacement) among outfielders, trailing only Andruw Jones. Hall of Famer Willie Mays ranks third.
We’ll add reaction to Blair’s passing throughout the evening.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)