Dec 26, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Very sad news to pass along this evening, as Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that former major league outfielder Paul Blair has passed away at the age of 69.
An eight-time Gold Glove Award winner, Blair compiled a .250/.302/.382 batting line over 17 seasons in the majors between the Orioles, Yankees and Reds. He’s best known for the 13 seasons he spent in Baltimore, during which he won all of his Gold Gloves, made two All-Star appearances and was a part of World Series championship teams in 1966 and 1970. He ranks seventh in franchise history in games played, eighth in stolen bases and 11th in hits and runs scored.
Blair was traded to the Yankees after the 1976 season and soon added two more World Series titles to his impressive resume. Below is video of his game-winning hit in the 12th inning of Game 1 of the 1977 World Series against the Dodgers. The Yankees ultimately won the series in six games.
As our own Matthew Pouliot notes, Blair is second all-time in defensive WAR (wins above replacement) among outfielders, trailing only Andruw Jones. Hall of Famer Willie Mays ranks third.
We’ll add reaction to Blair’s passing throughout the evening.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Two months ago, in the wake of the Astros database hacking scandal, the Cardinals fired scouting director Chris Correa.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Pedro Martinez is one of the smartest baseball players in living memory, but he’s sniffing up the wrong tree here.
Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over
Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He looks like a goner after the season.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
I hate to use the word “classy” because its so overused in sports. But this is classy.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
Oh, and if you didn’t know: ESPN is a tool of ISIS.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:02 AM EDT
Zack Greinke is doing things guys have not done since the Dead Ball era. And I do not mean making scary faces like that.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
Just your standard 1-3-1 putout.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Brutal news here for the Nationals.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
After losing Yunel Escobar on a hit-by-pitch, Michael Taylor left tonight’s game against the Padres when he crashed into the outfield fence.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
So, that thing about the Nationals’ projected Opening Day lineup finally being in place?
Aug 27, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Twins rookie slugger Miguel Sano hit another mammoth blast tonight against the Rays. The only problem is that the catwalk at Tropicana Field got in the way.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Jones was forced to exit Thursday’s game after colliding with the center field fence.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:13 PM EDT
After being designated for assignment by the Mariners over the weekend, Rodney will be reunited with Joe Maddon in Chicago.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Bumgarner also had a heck of a day on the mound.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Bonds filed a grievance on the grounds that he was blackballed from the game following the 2007 season.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
Dodgers utility man Enrique Hernandez did his best to catch up to the heat from Reds closer Aroldis Chapman this afternoon.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fernandez missed much of the season recovering from Tommy John elbow surgery.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
No shorts, though. Major bummer.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Its not often we have reason to cheer the decisions ESPN makes but today we do.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Time is still undefeated.
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 16
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 6
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 54
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)