Five teams showing interest in Sam Fuld

Dec 27, 2013, 8:00 PM EST

Sam Fuld

Free agent outfielder Sam Fuld has received offers from five teams, reports Zach Links of MLB Trade Rumors. They are all Minor League deals with an invitation to spring training.

Fuld has spent the past three seasons with the Rays after coming over from the Cubs in the Matt Garza trade. He hasn’t done much with the bat — just a .627 OPS since the start of 2011 — but he has provided speed (35 stolen bases in 47 attempts with the Rays) and defense off the bench as well as an ability to play all three positions in the outfield.

1. raysfan1 - Dec 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM

He’s a good kid, hope he latches on somewhere.

• aphillieated - Dec 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Well, if he’s a kid then I must be a toddler.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Dec 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Mark the jays down as a possibility on this one, he won’t cost very much at all

• cur68 - Dec 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

You think you’re insulting my boys, dontcha you Ole Poo Flinger? Well you’re wrong. Fuld is a class act and hard worker. He’s a stat savvy Turbo Nerd, and he was a crowd favourite in Tampa. Having him on My Boys will be only good for them. The fact that he’d be cheap to get is mere good luck, too.

• Old Gator - Dec 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Even so, it does strike me as a bit of an anticlimax to end a day’s blogging with five minor league offers to Sam Fuld, you know? I wonder if the Feesh are looking at him as a potential third base conversion.

• dirtyharry1971 - Dec 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Sorry he can’t steal first base but at least you explained one thing to me, now I understand why jays fans are so dumb and don’t get upset when their season is over by july year after year after year. Enjoy another pisser of a season in 2014, lol

• cur68 - Dec 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM

And looking at how you spell and punctuate at least you make me feel better about one thing: I’m not you. Go bathe.

• Old Gator - Dec 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Let’s not be so hard on Poor Dim Harry this time. He did capitalize the first words of his sentences this time – which means that those character-recognition lessons at his special school might finally be paying off.

Of course, a pet octopus in an aquarium would have learned to do that about a year and a half more rapidly (though in all fairness I doubt if his special ed staff rewarded Harry with a shrimp), but like the alien faux daddy in Contact told Jodie Foster, “Small moves Harry, small moves.”

• cur68 - Dec 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM

His whole life is a series of small moves. Wish one of them included washing himself.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 28, 2013 at 5:41 AM

Actually, for once, Harry may be correct. The Jays need another Triple A outfielder.

• dirtyharry1971 - Dec 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Yea why not you got a team full of them so whats one more? Fluid’s only value offensively is stealing bases so on a good team he can be a pinch runner, on the jays he is a starting outfielder, can you say 30+ games out of first in 2014? You bet you can!

• proudlycanadian - Dec 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM

As you requested; “The Yankees will finish 30+ gams out of first in 2014.” Do not blame me for this prediction Yankees fans. Just trying to keep Harry (AKA Happy Herbie) happy.

• indaburg - Dec 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM

The 2013 Yankees started Wells (2013 WAR -1.3) and Nunez (2013 WAR -0.8), and dirtyharry mocks Fuld (2013 WAR -0.3)? Fuld might be an upgrade for the Yankees. Maybe teach him second base. I hear he can pitch too.

• Old Gator - Dec 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Poor Dim Harry “mocks,” essentially the same way consistently, because he can’t think of anything else. He’s kinda like a case of prematurely advanced dementia who asks the same question over and over no matter how often you answer it – but at least remembers the question. The staff at his special school is studying EEGs of his anterior frontal cortex to try and figure out whether that beer can shaped hemangioma has anything to do with it.

• dirtyharry1971 - Dec 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Yea that makes sense pc, we upgraded BIG time at the catcher position, Big time in the outfield, Big time at 1st base, big time on the bench and we are not even done yet so according to your logic we will be worse….ONce again a bluejay fan explains to me why their small wittle fan base is soo stupid…And gotta love cur and gasser here, they know I need a bath thru a message board? hahaha love how the IQ level just drops drastically everytime they show up on this board….

• proudlycanadian - Dec 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

The Yankees might have a decent year, if age does not catch up to them. The team will need that Geritol that the Jays Care Foundation is sending them.

• Old Gator - Dec 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Nothing like having a guy who at twelve years old still can’t spell, punctuate or capitalize properly evaluating the IQ level of the board.

• cur68 - Dec 29, 2013 at 3:28 AM

You’re a poo flinger, ‘harry. Of course you stink. Now go wash. And brush your tooth.

3. professormaddog31 - Dec 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I wish the Cubs would look him up again. If minor league teams are sniffing around, it would make sense that the Cubs would give him a shot again. They are basically a AAAA team at this point anyway.

4. indaburg - Dec 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I will be crushed if the Rays don’t resign him. I know the offensive statistics are dire, but I’m just a fan at heart. To say he’s a fan favorite is an understatement. I’ll never forget April 2011, when Manny being Manny unceremoniously retired due to another failed drug test and the Rays were losing miserably. The Legend of Sam Fuld was born. The son of New England made catch after spectacular catch, and hit the tar off the ball. He was a one man highlight reel. He hit two doubles, a triple, and a homah in his debut at Fenway. He was Super Sam. The athletic diabetic carried the Rays that month on his small, mighty shoulders. We made the post-season due to the Best Night in Baseball (9/28/11), but I didn’t forget it was Sam who got us there. He’s versatile, and fast. And don’t get me started on everything he does for the community, the fund raisers, the free fan meet and greets. He’s intelligent and an all-around swell guy, the anti-Delmon Young and other persons of dubious off-field distinction the Rays have seemingly attracted of late. I had the pleasure of meeting him once with my kids, and he was as sweet as can be to them. My little girl, his biggest fan/stalker, was jumping up and down with excitement afterwards.

The worst part will be explaining to her that Sam Fuld will not be there when we go to the Trop. I am dreading that talk. This will be my first experience explaining the harsh realities of free agency and being a Rays fan. Don’t get too attached, kid. They don’t stick around long, especially not around these parts.

• Old Gator - Dec 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I’d be the last one to criticize inexpensive sentiment (there’s too much bathos in your post to malign your sentiment as “cheap,” my dear) but it’s kinda like how Dave Magadan won the hearts of antediluvian Feesh fans by seeming to do much more than he did and by being a very nice guy. We might have been able to say the same about Tweeter if not for his mantideophobia and his aversion to tits. All that notwithstanding, they’d have to drop Fuld, Magadan and Tweeter on me in the same zipped up sleeping bag from one of Richard Branston’s sub-space rocket planes before he’d get up enough downhill velocity for me (32 feet per sec per sec) to be “crushed” by their absence.

• indaburg - Dec 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I’m not cheap, darling.

The way the little one is behaving today I’m thinking I’ll tell her Sam Fuld left because she wouldn’t listen to her mommy.

• Old Gator - Dec 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Probably your last best option, since it’s too late to pull the old Santa absconditus trick on her now.

5. blazermaniac22 - Dec 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

What 5 teams? This confirms that writers just make stuff up

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5672)