Dec 27, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
Rob Neyer had a fun and refreshing email conversation with Bill Bavasi, the former general manager of the Seattle Mariners who — sad to say — didn’t exactly have a great tenure in Seattle. But what he does have now is some refreshing candor about his judgment in trading Shin-Soo Choo for [gulp] Ben Broussard.
Go check out Bavasi’s assessment of that deal and how he got to it. Short version: he says “I just blew it.” You’ll see none of the corporate GMSpeak that is so common these days. Just pure “oh well” accountability, which is kind of nice.
In other news: Shin-Soo Choo passed his physical, making his $130 million deal with the Rangers official.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 31
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 99
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (99)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)