Dec 27, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
Rob Neyer had a fun and refreshing email conversation with Bill Bavasi, the former general manager of the Seattle Mariners who — sad to say — didn’t exactly have a great tenure in Seattle. But what he does have now is some refreshing candor about his judgment in trading Shin-Soo Choo for [gulp] Ben Broussard.
Go check out Bavasi’s assessment of that deal and how he got to it. Short version: he says “I just blew it.” You’ll see none of the corporate GMSpeak that is so common these days. Just pure “oh well” accountability, which is kind of nice.
In other news: Shin-Soo Choo passed his physical, making his $130 million deal with the Rangers official.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)