Dec 27, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Rob Neyer had a fun and refreshing email conversation with Bill Bavasi, the former general manager of the Seattle Mariners who — sad to say — didn’t exactly have a great tenure in Seattle. But what he does have now is some refreshing candor about his judgment in trading Shin-Soo Choo for [gulp] Ben Broussard.
Go check out Bavasi’s assessment of that deal and how he got to it. Short version: he says “I just blew it.” You’ll see none of the corporate GMSpeak that is so common these days. Just pure “oh well” accountability, which is kind of nice.
In other news: Shin-Soo Choo passed his physical, making his $130 million deal with the Rangers official.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)