Dec 27, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Rob Neyer had a fun and refreshing email conversation with Bill Bavasi, the former general manager of the Seattle Mariners who — sad to say — didn’t exactly have a great tenure in Seattle. But what he does have now is some refreshing candor about his judgment in trading Shin-Soo Choo for [gulp] Ben Broussard.
Go check out Bavasi’s assessment of that deal and how he got to it. Short version: he says “I just blew it.” You’ll see none of the corporate GMSpeak that is so common these days. Just pure “oh well” accountability, which is kind of nice.
In other news: Shin-Soo Choo passed his physical, making his $130 million deal with the Rangers official.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)